Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are traveling for a week in February, and our two tiels Lemon and Juice will be staying with my parents. They live in a flight cage, but it would have to be completely disassembled to fit in our vehicle, which would require transporting them in a box or something for the 1/2 hour drive.

I bought a smaller cage (see link) with the idea that it will fit in our car, so they can be transported in it and stay in it at my parents' house. Now I'm worried that they might be more stressed out by a different cage, and maybe I should just move the big one that they are used to. I doubt my parents will be comfortable letting them out, so they will likely be cooped up for the week.

What would you guys do? If I do take the big cage apart and move it, what is the safest way to transport them for the car ride?

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00836QKQ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Why not try putting your birds in the smaller cage for a few nights and see how they handle it. Being in a smaller cage for a week will not harm them as long as they get along and do not fight/stress to much.
Or use the smaller cage to transport and take the big cage too...

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree with ParrotletsRock. I would pop them in the smaller cage for a few nights and see how they go. Set it up with some toys and perches etc and let them get used to it so that during your week away it will be a familiar and safe cage for them to stay in.

Being in a smaller cage for a week is perfectly fine as long as they're comfortable and don't bicker too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, I will set up the small cage and test them out in it. They came to us in a much smaller cage, and they get along really well, so I'm thinking they will be fine.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It should be fine, but I agree that introducing them to the smaller cage first is a good idea. You might try putting them in it for increasing periods of time between now and then, so you're not giving them too much change all at once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts