Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fid lovers,
I got my male Tiel from a breeder. He was ready to go this December when I picked him up, so I am assuming he was about 8 months old. Anyways his wings were clipped but since then only his left side re-grew normally but on his right side he keeps flicking his wing and the re-growth seems to start off and then break off. (he has a hard time with controlling his flight so bumps into walls now and then). Also his tail feathers seem to be doing the same thing. He was raised on pellets and I feed him both seed and pellets now with healthy veggies. He sits most of the time with very little energy. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
It would be a good idea to take him to an avian vet. The lack of energy doesn't sound good.

It's hard to tell whether there's a problem with the wing and tail feathers. He basically has a one-sided clip right now, which means he can't steer properly, which means he's going to crash a lot and very likely break his wing and tail feathers. A more balanced clip might be all that's needed to solve the problem, but over the internet it's impossible to know whether there are any other problems or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for getting back to me Tielfan. By process of illimination I have the feeling it is the water. When I got him he had beautiful feathers and with time slowly deteriorated. So I got a water filter because it is well water here and who knows if there is lead etc.... and I have a baby syringe whereby I forced a little charcoal and milk thistle mixed with water. His droppings look normal if not a little watery now because of the syringe stuff. The problem with getting to an avian vet, it is a 1.45 hour drive from here one way. I am afraid the stress would not be good for him. If he gets worse though I may have to take that route. Anyway, do you know of any other product that would get rid of potential toxins?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If you suspect it's the water, you may have to buy him bottled water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts