Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to this so not completely sure how this works... I have 4 cockatiels at home, Oliver, Ted, Smokey and Co-co, all birds I have rescued from unwanted homes or that have been neglected. They all seemed to be doing well at first and Ive since become a little concerned about one of them, co-co. I found her sat on the bottom of the cage for a while approx a week ago, which I know ist a great sign, but the following day she was back up top with the rest of them, so didnt think anything of it. I've since noticed she spends alot of time fluffed up, with one eye closed. She isnt as loud and chirpy as the other birds are generally, but I dont know whether this is just in her naturem or if she really is sick. I'm not totally sure what I should do, we dont have an avian vet nearby (I could find one if needed) and I dont want to worry over nothing. Could I ask what you guys would do please?
It may also be worth a mention, she isnt able to fly about like the others can either which does isolate her sometimes because her wings have been clipped. (not something I would do or personally agree with, this was the situation when I took her in) Any help would be great, thanks! Tracey x:wf cinnamon:

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Is she moulting because cockatiels are less active at this time if they are all in the same cage she probably just wanted some time alone you could contact an avian vet and see what they think about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thans for replying..
She doesnt seem to be. I can understand her maybe wanting some alone time from Ted and Oliver as they can be a little full on. Coco and Smokey I got together and they do tend to spend alot of time next to each other, which is another reason I found it odd that she was just sat on the bottom in the corner. I took her out and spent an hour with her and she perked up a little. It's her eye as well though, is that normal for them to close one eye frequently for significant periods of time?

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Well sitting at the bottom of the cage is not a good sign and generally the 1st red flag. She really should see a vet as soon as possible. Until you can get her to one, I recommend soaking some seeds in some Gatorade or other electrolyte solution and offering her some. Hopefully that can give her more energy

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aww, yeah that does sound like the warning signs of sickness. It's better to act quickly even if you're not certain there's anything wrong instead of wait because once it gets worse their health can deteriorate very quickly. Good luck, I hope Co-co's vet visit goes well, and I hope you're able to find an avian vet easily! That can often be the trickiest part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Hi everyone, thanks for your help and advice. I thought I would update you.. I spoke with an avian vet yesterday about co-co's behaviours and I have been told to monitor her for a day or two as she seems 110% better than she was. I had noticed than one of my cockatiels (Ted) can be quite boistrous compaed to the others, especially around the food dishes! I decided to buy a few more food and water dishes to put around the cage (the cage is extremely large.. bigger than me!) to try and encourage the others to use. This seems to have helped things massively. Co-co is definitely, as I said in my previous post, the quietest most gentle of them all, and I worry that she gets pushed out quite abit, she doesnt really fight her corner like the others! Ted came from a bad home where he was badly neglected and malnourished, I think this could explain some of his eagerness to make sure he gets first dibs on the food and tends to guard it! Hopefully he will get better in time, he is much tamer than he was when I first took him in, and his feathers are slowly improving. I recently ordered them a play centre that i've kinda joined up to the cage (sort an extension) for when I let them out, and co-co was all over it yesterday. She's definitely more like her old self.. I will keep my eye on her and keep you posted :) Thanks again everyone xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts