Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a cockatiel, from a weird shop I passed by when I was returning home from far.

How can I know if he's a he or a she? Or how old he or she is?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Carmen
ringo3.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratulations on your bird! It's a beautiful lutino. It looks young. The feet don't look scaly. Pet it and if the feathers feel very soft, then definitely a baby. To know if it is male/female, hold up the wings to the sun from the window, or bright light in the dark or a UV light and look on the underside of its wings. If you see wings spots close to the body, it's a young female, if not, it could be a young male or an adult female. If it sings (really sings, not just chirps) and does heart wings, it's a male. If it lays an egg, a female. If it has not done either, just wait a few months. Of course, there's always DNA test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on your bird! It's a beautiful lutino. It looks young. The feet don't look scaly. Pet it and if the feathers feel very soft, then definitely a baby. To know if it is male/female, hold up the wings to the sun from the window, or bright light in the dark or a UV light and look on the underside of its wings. If you see wings spots close to the body, it's a young female, if not, it could be a young male or an adult female. If it sings (really sings, not just chirps) and does heart wings, it's a male. If it lays an egg, a female. If it has not done either, just wait a few months. Of course, there's always DNA test.
Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The eye rings don’t look that big either. I was never able to tell with the dots on the wings like TggrTiel said. The spots on the cheeks are very bright, but that doesn’t matter with Lutinos. They are tough to sex without DNA. Does he/she “bow” and put her butt in the air? That’s female “cone hither.” A male will usually vocalize more, even pick up words or phrases. Ask at your next vet visit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts