Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my wife and I recently got a hand raised cockatiel. We got the cockatiel when he/she (we don’t know the sex yet) was about 12 weeks old and we’ve had it for 3 weeks now. I think it’s gotten really comfortable with me since I work from home and I put the tiel on my desk while I work and he plays with toys, grooms itself and eats.

The cockatiel stepped up since we got it and after a week of coming home it is completely comfortable eating out of my hand and also my wife’s hand. It also seems to be comfortable when I touch its head crest and rub its beak (though it doesn’t seem to really care for it, since it just ignores it and continues to eat, play or walk around). It also allowed me to give it scratches 3 times so far (something I’m working on). I think we’re bonding.

However, with my wife, the tiel steps up and eats out of her hand no problem and is comfortable with her. But it attacks her nails (she gets them done,) whenever it sees them, it doesn’t usually hurt but sometimes it goes onto the skin and locks on for a bit. So she can’t really touch it’s crest/beak like I can. It was more frequent before but now that she changed the colour it’s a little less (still happens quite a bit). Is there anything she can do to train out this behaviour?

·
Registered
Normal grey with ghost spots
8 Posts
My cockatiel seems to be particular too about my nails. He doesn't bite, just runs away from me. He likes the color I was wearing when I got him. Sparkly burgundy. He seems okay with a dark pink as well. I'm s new owner do I have no advice besides stick with the colors it likes🤷. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts