Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My babies are 4 months old now and their personalities are really starting to come out. Ciel acts totally like a boy the head banging whistling spreading his wings etc. Bit eclipse on the other hand has had a bit of a different change. Eclipse has always been the more outgoing of the two. Now he's changed, he doesn't whistle much though he does chatter and has no desire of learning the new whistles I teach them while ciel has picked it all up, he just sits there quietly. Also I don't see him head banging and when he spreads his wings it's to try and fly, so now I'm so confused. I know pearl is a sex linked mutation so I thought they were boys, they're pearl pied, mom is pearl split to pied and dad is pied split to pearl, wf, cinn, and lutino. So I thought all pearls would be male... Was I wrong? Is my boy really a girl?!:confused::confused:

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I think you may have a boy and a girl :) Are they from the same clutch? I would take steps to prevent them from breeding if they are siblings and of course if you don't want eggies (once they start to mature) Iam no mutation expert though, so hopefully a breeder will be on to better answer your question :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm kind of starting to think so too and I'm hoping they're oth boys. Thyre from the same clutch and tha would be soo complicated lol I think from that pair all the pearls would be males but I'm not sure. Maybe he's just a quiet boy ( I hope) lol

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
Your parent birds have the genes to produce pearl chicks of both sexes. You can expect half the boys and half the girls to be pearl.

Your male has three sex-linked splits and only two X chromosomes for them to travel on. So at least two of those splits are on the same X. You won't get any male chicks who are lutino or cinnamon since the mother doesn't have those genes, but some of your female chicks will show those colors. Depending on which genes are on the same X, you might get female chicks who are cinnamon pearl, lutino pearl, or cinnamon lutino. If all three genes are on the same X, half your female chicks will be gray and half will be cinnamon lutino pearl.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The parents aren't mine and either way I don't plan on breeding them but before I was so sure they were both boys but now not so much lol. Don't get me wrong eclipse can be loud and sometimes he bangs his head and does the whole wing display thing, but nowhere near as much as ciel. I would just wait to see who keeps of loses the pearling but I'm suppose to be picking up there little brother soon. I guess I'll just have to DNA test. But please keep the thoughts and guesses coming!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts