Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cockatiel, Sweep, vomited last Tuesday (a week today). He had eaten some bran flakes (which he has eaten on many occasions before without being sick and I don't give him an excess amount, please trust me on that)

Since Tuesday he has become very quiet and withdrawn. He has not chirped, whistled or sung since. He is sitting on his perch all fluffed up and sleeping loads. He did always sleep loads as I used to call him "sleepy sweepy".

He is still eating and drinking (although he is eating less as I can tell by the amount of seed shell on the bottom of the cage). He is still preening himself and stretching his wings. He does not have abnormal plumage, he doesn't look like he is losing weight, his vent is not dirty and he has no discharge from the nose, eyes etc.

Since Friday, he has taken to sitting in the corner of the cage on the floor and sleeping there for a short while.

I do have another cockatiel in the cage with him, Geordie, and he is fine, singing, whistling tapping and banging.

I have had Sweep for 3 years. I don't know how old he is as I got him from a pet shop. He was obviously never hand reared as he still to this day will not come to me or land on me. He has always been what I would call "nervous", although he is getting better.

If sweep was a hen I would think he was wanting to nest?

Is my bird sick.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think he could be, take him to an avain or avain interest vet to have him checked out.
What country are you in out of interest?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd take my bird to the vet if he was acting like this -- sitting at bottom of cage fluffed up is never good.

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts