Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda need a little help. I'm trying to figure out if my bird Stitch is a boy or a girl. Just in case of eggs or in the future I would get another bird. I really don't want them to have babies. I'm a little hesitant about blood tests. I don't want to have him scared of the vet. Stitch is a one-year-old pearl. And I know boys spots suppose to change and girls don't but I'm not sure at what age. He does talk a little, for example, the wolf whistle, mama, and no. But, I know girls talk too. So my fellow pearl owners, do you guys have any clue if Stitch is a little man or actually a little lady.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It can be a little hard to tell what gender your Cockatiel is. One way you can tell is by its cheeks. If they're a bright orange, then its most likely male, and if they're a duller orange, then its most likely female. Also, male Cockatiels are generally louder then females.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I would say girl. My Mr. Buzz looked just like Stitch and after about a year laid an egg.... so Buzz convinced me that she was a girl :) Stitch looks like a pearl without any other mutations - as far as I know, after a year, a male would be losing or have lost the pearling and be on his way to look more like a normal (gray) tiel. But Stitch's pearls are strong so 'girl' is my vote.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It can be a little hard to tell what gender your Cockatiel is. One way you can tell is by its cheeks. If they're a bright orange, then its most likely male, and if they're a duller orange, then its most likely female. Also, male Cockatiels are generally louder then females.
That's Stitch in a handbasket.
I would say girl. My Mr. Buzz looked just like Stitch and after about a year laid an egg.... so Buzz convinced me that she was a girl :) Stitch looks like a pearl without any other mutations - as far as I know, after a year, a male would be losing or have lost the pearling and be on his way to look more like a normal (gray) tiel. But Stitch's pearls are strong so 'girl' is my vote.
Even though Stitch is very vocal?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Being very vocal does tilt towards male. In that case, I don't know what to think. There are members here who know a lot about breeding and genetics - maybe one will post to help out... 🤔

·
Registered
2 Posts
I kinda need a little help. I'm trying to figure out if my bird Stitch is a boy or a girl. Just in case of eggs or in the future I would get another bird. I really don't want them to have babies. I'm a little hesitant about blood tests. I don't want to have him scared of the vet. Stitch is a one-year-old pearl. And I know boys spots suppose to change and girls don't but I'm not sure at what age. He does talk a little, for example, the wolf whistle, mama, and no. But, I know girls talk too. So my fellow pearl owners, do you guys have any clue if Stitch is a little man or actually a little lady.

Its a female.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also thought it was a girl based on the first three pictures. The colour on his/her cheeks doesn‘t seem as bright as a male‘s usually is. However, the last couple of pictures of Stitch’s tail feathers throw me off a bit. Usually females have darker bars on those feathers, although that might just be with lutinos and albinos. Also, the way Stitch holds his tail makes me think it’s a male. A straight and pointed tail is an indicator of a male. A female‘s would be thicker and more spread out. Atleast that’s what I’ve heard. Anyways, Stitch is a gorgeous bird. Hope you find out what his gender is soon!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts