Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom found a robbin's egg this afternoon that was hatching. i just finished hatching in a washcloth sitting on a heating pad.....

my tiel has babies right now. would it be safe to slip her in there because i won't be able to care for her otherwise and i don't want her to die. but i don't want to hurt my other birds either.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
No it's not safe. Call a wildlife or rehab center and take it there for them to care for it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I agree, it is not safe for your birds or the baby robin. Robins not only eat a totally different type of food they also feed in a different way. The baby is so different from the tiel babies that the parents are likely to reject it at best or kill it at worst. The food they would feed even if they were able to (which I highly doubt) would not have the proper nutrients for the baby robin to survive on. Then their is always the potential for diseases that may be carried by the baby to be spread to your birds, just not worth the risk in my opinion, I would call a wildlife read as Roxy has suggested and have them care for the baby.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sadly he didn't make it through the night :'( poor guy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Where did she find it? The nest should be near it somewhere, you should have just stuck it back in the nest.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Where did she find it? The nest should be near it somewhere, you should have just stuck it back in the nest.
That's not necessarily true. If the egg is not in the nest anymore, than something probably happened. One of the parents might have rejected it and pushed it out, or the nest might have been destroyed in a storm, etc. In a situation like this, you'd have to find the nest and then from there figure out if it's safe enough to put the egg back. Usually, if mama and baby are separated in the wild, and the parents aren't currently attempting to care for the baby, there's no reuniting them. Even when the parents are trying to take care of the baby, oftentimes there's nothing they can do when the baby is on the ground because of predators. A baby on the ground (unless learning to fly) is doomed to die because the most the parents can do is feed it; they can't ward off predators.

I know all of this because I work at a bird rescue, and right now we're in the height of baby bird season, so we're seeing orphan situations like this all the time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we couldn't find a nest. we looked but one egg had a dead baby in it and the other was the one i had. they weren't there when we left on out walk and 15 min later when we got home one was in the middle of the road and one was on our sidewalk. i think an animal took them from the nest

·
Registered
139 Posts
Unfortunately, for future reference, a cockatiel would not be able to care for a robin. They beg differently, but even if a cockatiel didn't notice that and still fed the chick, seeds or green food would kill a robin chick. They're meat eaters and can't digest plant foods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts