Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a cockatiel who passed away in February, and I don't know what was wrong with his health when he did, but we threw out all the perches and food dishes and are keeping the actual cage itself. We cleaned it right after, and I would assume all the bacteria or germs if there are any left would be dead by now. Would it be alright to use this cage for some new babies? Should I clean it again just in case? If so, with what do you suggest and how?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would give it one more good clean. The biggest danger were the toys, perches and food dishes, but a good clean after so long won't hurt.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It should be fine to use again as long as it is in good condition already (no chipping or bent bars)
I would clean it again to be safe :)
I know there are better ways to clean cages and i don't know the best way , but I'd rinse it down with hot water and use some vinegar on it with a clean sponge.
I'm sorry about your loss :(

·
Registered
786 Posts
My JoJo passed away from an accident, but I plan on getting a new one soon. I cleaned his cage with a weak bleach solution (was told to by my vet). I used 1/8 cup to a gallon of water. Then I rinsed it well and let it dry in the sun. The bleach would certainly kill the bacteria. I am sorry you lost your other one. Have fun with your new baby :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the condolences! Don't be sorry though, I believe in reincarnation and that I was lead to the babies for a reason ^v^ JoJo's Mom, I hope you find a lovely new feathered friend soon as well, whether you believe the same or not :)

Great! The cage is in great condition, although there is some sort of white residue on some parts of the cage bars - I think it must be dried left over baking soda and vinegar solution we used on it months ago. It seems to scratch off easily in some parts, so that bleach solution should take it off I hope! How long should I wait before putting the babies into the bleach-cleaned cage?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
re-using cage

I agree with what everyone else has said about an extra cleaning. As far as to how long to wait after cleaning, I'd wait until the smell of the bleach was gone. Even a weak solution will leave a detectable odor. As was suggested, let the cage dry thoroughly in the sun (sunlight does a good job in killing bacteria too). Then maybe wipe everything down with clean water and let it dry again in the sun.
Enjoy your new little friends!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Yes you should clean it again do you know that stuff for babies for cleaning baby bottles and stuff thats great for killing germs and bacteria and you can also get a spray from a petstore that keeps flies,fleas,mites and stuff away from the cage I used it on Rockos cage yesterday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts