Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three questions!

1. Is it normal for a cockatiel to smell bad? If you just sniff buttercup she smells gross, I only noticed it today in the shower with her so maybe the water made it worse? She's only really had one proper shower and even then it was very quick so could that be why she smells?

2. Is it normal for a 12 or so week old to make strange squeaky noises like all the time? Especially during head scratches, buttercup won't be quiet the whole time and it sounds like she hates it from the noises but she actually loves it. It's really odd. She'll also do it when just on my shoulder, she sounds like the old dial up Internet.

3. Is it normal for birds to shake? My other two, darla and alfalfa, live outside/in the store room at the moment due to quatentine and I've noticed them often shaking. The weather is getting cooler so that may be why but they aren't fluffed up like you'd expect them to be if they're cold?

I'm sorry there is so many questions, I know, but I didn't want to start 3 new threads and just be super annoying!

·
Registered
92 Posts
1. I'm not sure.. But mine smell like grains mostly. When they are wet they have wet bird smell
2. Chewy makes squeaky noises when he gets scratches. That's his baby noise because he enjoys them
3. My other one Bliss sometimes shakes.. I think she's just excited. She's getting a vet check soon so I'd be able to confirm if the shaking is anything out of the ordinary

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
1. Soggy birds smell like soggy dogs.

2. That's baby begging for food and comfort and she'll grow out of it soon.

3. No idea what you mean by shaking, sorry. Shivering or something else?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm glad you posted and I hope you get ALL the answers you need. Norm/a makes that exact same noise - sounds like she HATES head scratches and clearly s/he adores them. I'm glad to see here that s/he will grow out of that baby noise. I don't remember my other cockatiels when they were babies, and I haven't had a bird this young before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts