Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This is mostly a rant/vent) Hi, so I finally got to bring Apollo home today, yay! He's around 3.5 months old right now. I've done all the research in the world but I'm still so nervous about him being here. He's in his cage right now and I can see him and he's constantly shaking. I read up and saw this is normal for when a bird is scared, and I know he's scared being in a completely new place, but I can't help but be nervous. I'm so scared that something is going to go wrong and he will get hurt. I've never had a pet before and I love Apollo so much and now that he's home I've been terrified for hours. He's not eating or drinking and he's just staying on a specific perch I have. There's no reason for me to be nervous but I am and I want to cry I hate the thought that Apollo is scared I want him to be okay and I know he will be soon but I can't stop the dread I feel knowing he's not okay right now and there's nothing I can do/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please don't worry.. it's totally natural for you to be apprehensive about bringing your new bird home. I think all of us as cockatiel owners have been there too! Just remember Apollo is in a new environment and that he is just taking time to adjust. I think as time passes and you both get more used to each other you will both relax and it won't seem so terrifying. Trust me they are wonderful companions and I can't imagine my life without one!☺

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
nervous

Yes, it's normal for both of you to be nervous. Just spend time near him, talking to him, letting him get used to your presence.He'll see you are not going to harm him. You can try holding a little piece of millet out to him while he's still in his cage. That's a good way to let your bird get used to you. Eating from your hand builds trust. You'll be best friends in no time!

·
Registered
46 Posts
YEs

I agree with all the advice you have received. All birds and owners are nervous. they are in a new environment and have to adjust and you are just wanting to have everything go right.
I love new birds in my home. It actually give me time to bond and teach.
My husband says I spend more time with the birds than I do with him...LOL
As soon as I walk into my home, no matter where I have gone, I go right to the cage and get my unconditional love. I say Hello to my husband, but the birds are priority!:pied:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts