Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have got this guy and very confused.
The seller actually dors not understand anything about mutations...so I need to ask here.
The bird is younger than 1 year.
It looks like a pastelface to me. But I have never seen a pastelface in real life - only on photos.
I has a lot of white on his head and just little yellow.
Can it be a pastelface split whiteface???
Or a normal split to WF???
Please help.

PS. I'm not sure we have pastelfaces in my country (Russia)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
He looks like pastelface or possibly one of the yellowcheek mutations. But he hasn't gotten his full adult coloring yet, and we'll know more after he finishes molting in his adult face mask. It looks like he might have some yellow feathers on the back of the head which is a sign of a pied split.

Do you know what his parents look like?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply!
They could nor provide me with the information about his parents in the shop, unfortunately.
Do you think he is male? he doesn't sing at all, I don't hear a sound from him.

But he is really sweet))

I know we can detect his sex in the lab, but is there any chance to understand his mutation, is there analysis in the labs in the USA or Europe? Do you have this information?

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
There isn't currently a way to use DNA testing to figure out the mutation. It's possible that this kind of testing might be available someday but it's probably years in the future.

I do think he is a young male, since it looks like he's molting in his adult face mask. Have you had him for very long? If you just got him recently, he might be too shy to sing right now. It can take several weeks for a cockatiel to really start feeling comfortable in a new home.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There’s no way to visually tell a whiteface split as far as I know. He looks like a pastel face split to pied. Same as what tiel fan says.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts