Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I bought this breeding pair of cockatiel from a breeder. One is male and the other is female. The pair is bonded and has bred before. I have a question regarding this pair not breeding. So could it be because of the following 3 reasons?
  1. The location of the breeding box in the cage? The hole is facing the light source so it's not that it is totally dark and the birds can see the box entrance.
  2. The diet? I feed the birds bread, sweet corn, eggs, seed mix, and freshwater.
  3. Or is it because of the change of location or the new cage? Is one month good enough for them to acclimatize to the new place?
I'm based in Melbourne, Australia and the month of February is quite ideal for breeding here. However, It's been more than a month already and neither male nor female has even entered the breeding box yet. I have nice wooden shaving added to the bottom of the cage. Do I change or adjust the location of the perch so that they get room to fly or face the breeding box hole?

I have outlined the reasons above that I could think of. By the way, looking at the attached photos, what do you think could be wrong here that could be causing them not to breed or mate?

Thank you.

live2learn

·
Registered
275 Posts
1. nest box is ok. You can use opposite side as well, dark environment encourage breeding. ]
2. Provide mineral/calcium source and veggies
3. Yes, birds need quiet some time after dramatic environment change before breeding. Next breeding season is more likely.

Did you notice both male and female in and out nest box very often? If not, they are not into breeding now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts