Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a cockatiel April 2nd and he is bobbing his head at me. Is this normal since I just got him? Also he is squawking very high pitched at me does this mean he is afraid of me (like I know he is) or is he trying to talk to me?

·
Registered
32 Posts
He is 6 months old if that helps.
heyyy that is a very good sign, cockatiels bob their heads to show love and affection, and baby tiels squawk when they are excited, scared, feeling lonley, hungry etc, in this situation is oh so very excited to see u and wants to be on ur hand or shoulder, my cockatiel was also .like this, they are special cuz they dont even want the time it takes for others to adjust in :) <3<3

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol he's too cute to eat!!! But he seems to think that I'm gonna eat him! What are some ways to make him trust me? The only thing I can get him to eat out of my hand is millet and mostly only when I am pinching the wdge of it not when it is in my palm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lol he's too cute to eat!!! But he seems to think that I'm gonna eat him! What are some ways to make him trust me? The only thing I can get him to eat out of my hand is millet and mostly only when I am pinching the wdge of it not when it is in my palm.
hmmm lets see, dont be lound to him, dont pet him when hes not looking, if he bites freeze and give no reaction at
all

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey do u have insta or any social media, i can guide u better and faster

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are a ton of great YouTube videos on tiels, how to care for them, how to read them, and how to train them. You can always Google the behavior you are seeing and get more info on what it means. Opinions or guidance will vary so reading different sources will help you as well. We have learned so much this way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are a ton of great YouTube videos on tiels, how to care for them, how to read them, and how to train them. You can always Google the behavior you are seeing and get more info on what it means. Opinions or guidance will vary so reading different sources will help you as well. We have learned so much this way.
Yes only problem being that google says it mean that he is happy to see his owner and he does it often even when I have been there and still wants no part of being really close to me unless he is eating millet. I was wondering mostly because he started it the day after I got him and it didnt make any sense.

·
Registered
46 Posts
heyyy that is a very good sign, cockatiels bob their heads to show love and affection, and baby tiels squawk when they are excited, scared, feeling lonley, hungry etc, in this situation is oh so very excited to see u and wants to be on ur hand or shoulder, my cockatiel was also .like this, they are special cuz they dont even want the time it takes for others to adjust in :) <3<3
Agreed!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts