Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm concerned that Kirby is bonding with my mom. When she comes home, he gets all excited and yells for her attention, and then he yells when she leaves the room. This doesn't make much sense to me, though, because I'm the one who's home all day, I give him food, I give him treats, and I give him attention.

Is it possible that she's just his favorite toy? When she gets home, she lets him sit on her chest and play with her necklace for hours, which is his favorite game. I don't usually wear jewelry, so this doesn't happen with us.

The only reason that this is a problem is because my parents DO NOT want a pet bird. When I move out, Kirby is going to have to come with me or be rehomed, because they did not want another pet. I'm worried that if he develops a bond with her, it's going to be really hard and stressful for him when we move out, and I definetly don't want to rehome him (I'm technically his third owner).

Does it sound like he's bonding with her? If so, what should I do? And if he isn't, does anybody have suggestions to help him develop a bond with me?

·
Registered
885 Posts
It's not uncommon for companion birds to "choose" someone other than their primary caregiver. My rainbow lorikeet prefers my husband over me, even though i'm the one that provides all of the birdie essentials and showers them with attention. It's just how it is sometimes unfortunately.

I don't really have any advice as to what to do other than having your mum not go too crazy with the love and attention. My husband is NOT a bird person at all so he basically ignored all of Oscar's affections and he got over it. He's still basically in love with hubs and is clearly thrilled if he's ever within eyesight, but he doesn't fret for him when he's not around.

Just keep doing what you're doing with him. Shower him with all the love and give him yummy things. Oscar mostly loves me because I am the bringer of apple juice.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It does sound like he's chosen her but honestly, if and when you move out and take him with you, he will adjust just fine. Tiels are very adaptable. There is no reason to rehome him just because he likes your mom. Once out on his own with you, with her not there to give him that affection, he will bond with you.

You could always try making a necklace out of fun toy type things and letting him chew on it while sitting on you. It's imitating what she lets him do but with things that are loads of fun and allowed to be torn up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could always try making a necklace out of fun toy type things and letting him chew on it while sitting on you. It's imitating what she lets him do but with things that are loads of fun and allowed to be torn up.
That is an excellent idea! Do you know how I could do that? Are there any DIY projects for that you can direct me to? Kirby would love that!

And thanks, guys! I'm used to my mom being the favorite because our dogs have always chosen her (except Max, who's my baby and the first dog that I've independently adopted), I was just worried about when we move out, but thanks for putting that at ease! I'll definitely try your suggestions!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Honestly, I just got some yarn and strung a bunch of random stuff on it. You could probably pinterest it but my birds favorites were those ketchup cups from fast food places, Popsicle sticks, anything that they can chew on. I got the idea from another member on here who did it for her birds.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My girl does the same with my father so I feel you. Basically she does it with anyone that will enter room she will just fly to them like I'm not even there all of a sudden lol.

Oh and by the way she only flock calls when she hears the cat moaning outside the door... Go figure hahah.

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts