Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

My new cockatiel little Mikey has very pale orange cheeks. I believe he is a pastelface pied. He only has a little dark grey patches on his wings and is mostly lemon yellow apart from some grey patches around his face area. I was hoping someone more experienced in cockatiel mutations and genetics could give me their opinion. I also wasn't sure if he was a yellowcheek or a pastelface? He is 14 weeks old and he has already started talking so I think I'm correct in assuming he is a he....Any advice would be helpful...

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Iam not very good with mutations but Spike has light cheek patches aswell. So it could be because Mikey is a pied aswell.

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shhhhhhh don't tell him....he already thinks he can chirp and get as many scratchies as he wants....if he realises he is as cute as he is....oh man...im in trouble:eek::D

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
He does look like a pastel face to me. I notice Angel has very deep orange spots and she is pied. May be Spike is a pastel face too!

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i thought he was...it just seems pastel...not just a light pied....Angel's are extremely bright and he is a pied....and his yellow feathers are more a pale yellow whereas Little Mikey's are lemon...he is beautiful but making it very ahrd to write this post lol...it's funny...if some of the breeders actually realised what birds they had breed they could likely make more money on them...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Snickers had pale cheek patches too when he was younger. I have read and in my case i believe it (though some people will be skeptical) that pale cheek patches can indicate that a tiel is split to whiteface.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My new babies are split to whiteface and they all have dark cheek patches even the pied ones. If I were you I would google pastel face cockatiels in the pictures.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Whatever he is, he's stunning!!!!!!

-SB

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
ty everyone for the comments!! That's really interesting Bea....i honestly have very limited understanding of mutations and other aspects of breeding...all i know is how to look after them and of course...how to give fantastic scratchies as Mikey will chirp in agreement to....thank you sisterblue for the compliment....i regularly look at him and think how handsome and wonderful he is....what can i say?? i'm smitten...I'm also planning on a photo day 2moro....he is so pretty all over.....i also want to take a video of him talking....or a mp3 of it....if i walk out there he stops so i'll have to hide behind the door lol....

I guess the only way to see if he is pastelface is to find out what his parents were but I believe even then I won't know for sure as one of his parents could be split to pastelface?? Plus I got him from a pet store and it took a month for them to tell me his hatchdate and that was only approximately....anyway i will just enjoy his cute pale patches aand believe he is as special as i believe he is lol..

Thanks again e1

Oh and just as a note....I saw a tiel similar in cheek colour at a pet store yesterday and they described her as pastelface....she was part of a breeding pair...i can't remember what other type she was....possibly lutino....darn memory...I would have bought out that shop of their birds...they had a few different tiel pairs and a pair of green cheek conures, the male was normal and the female was a cinnamon...not that i want to breed but cause they were all so beautiful!!!! but they wanted $745 for the pair.....well out of my price range

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
$745 for the green cheek pair??? :eek: My Zoe (cinnamon) on her own was only $250, and a normal male is less than that. :p

Mikey could very well be pastelface. I get clueless about mutations once it gets out of the normal pied, pearl, whiteface, etc.

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know.....talk about up-pricing....i wondered how much....its amazing how much cheaper the green cheeks are here than Canada...cinnamons are like $400 roughly there...and its closer to where they are/were wild!!!! crazy

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK I'll add some more pics....hopefully these will help

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Hmm defiantly doesn't look like a normal pied

here is my pied she is on her 2nd clutch and I have been handfeeding her 2 babies from the 1st clutch - both pied just like her (dad is grey split to pied)

This is Nibbles my Pied Tiel

and here is their babies from their 1st clutch

On Little Mikey - his Face feathers are extremely light not just the patches, but the crest and the yellow feathers around the face as well.

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats what i thought....like every colour on him is pastelled...my other cockatiel in Australia is a pied and he has vibrant orange cheeks...As is my fiancee and my cockatiel in Canada....I've looked at pics of pastel cheeks....he looks very similar though alot of pics are of gray faced with pastel cheeks...It is difficult too as I dont know what his parents are....but I believe he is a pastel cheek and as special in mutation as he is in personality and love:D:love:

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
the only other mutation then Normal pastel face i can pictures of are Pastel Face Cinnamon, and Pastel Face Lutino Pearl pied & Dominant Silver
Pastelface Pied

can't find pastel face pied - but I'll keep looking

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
oooo I think you are right I found this picture - granted it's pearl as well - but minus that it looks an awfully lot like yours

said its a Pastel Pearl Pied Male

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
yes he is a pastelface and they are ussually cost between $125-200, but I have seen them at the bird fairs at $50 from breeders that don't know what they had!! But I have seen them for $150 at the bird fairs!! How much did you pay? I got a albino tiel with bluegrey eyes for $65 that should of been $150!! Melissa

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I paid $125 buying hand reared from a pet store....so you would imagine if they knew it would be around the $200 mark...so i think i got a bargain!!! I picked him because I suspected the other 2 were females....and i definately wanted a boy and thought i had more chance getting one with him....luckily i was right and he is chattering away about a pretty boy as we speak...once i got him home i realised his colouring and i love it....his cheeks are so light and pretty.....and the lemon shade of his yellow feathers is so lovely....i think he is a beautiful boy...and im glad people agree he is a pastel....always nice to have the agreeance to your theory lol....so ty all for answering

oh and atvchick....thats one of the pics that confirmed in my mind that he was....he looks very similar to Mikey...even in his wing pattern tho Mikey's seems lighter in colour.....ty for checking up on it for me....i appreciate it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts