Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uvKGRRKDXtY8SthAqawDlJzbJsGM4yED

Beta (in black cage) has been behaving this way for a few days now. Hehasnt behaved this way since I first got him a couple weeks ago.

The video shows a toned down version. He was more vocal. Greyson was vocal, too. And they were both spreading their wings in a territorial fashion.

So here’s what happened today:

1. I wake up around 7:30 AM to feed them. (Im slowly introducing pellets).
2. I sweep the kitchen/living room floor.
3. Change their linings
4. Open the cage
5. Let them explore for 2 hours.
(When they explore, they’re together. They’re so cute. Beta tries to help Greyson preen, but Greyson’s pretty wary.. he let’s him do it eventually.)
5ii. I clean after the poop they leave on the floor. While doing this. They don’t run from me out of fear. It looks like they just step out of my way to let me clean after them. At least from my point of view. I could be wrong.
6. Had to guide the, back into the cage because my Dad came in with groceries and there would have been ‘heavy traffic’ where they were. I don’t want them hurt.
(I put the cages on the floor with the cage door open. The treat stick is placed right at the entrance. Before I would use the stick but they don’t like it. I figure this would cause less stress.)
7. Let them watch TV.
8. Around 6, beta and Greyson get vocal. Start flapping around. Beta starts climbing on that one side of the cage.
9. I took away their treat stick because I didn’t want to reward that behavior. In case it was aggressive. It worked for awhile until Beta started climbing on the cage side again. Greyson for the most part has been calm but even he has his limits.
10. They go to bed between 7 to 8.
I start the whole process over.

Should I leave them out of the cage longer?

As for the treat stick. I got it from petco. It’s huge. It says to leave it in the cage for a week. Is that ok? I don’t want them to lose the taste for millet. Im also wondering if the beta’s behavior is due to a sugar rush..

Also, when they go to bed, I take out all of the food. I read it helps the, associate me as a food provider and not a predator. If that’s counterproductive, I’ll stop.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I cannot view this video. Have you tried youtube

·
Registered
199 Posts
Beta is showing he wants to be with Greyson. Cockatiels love companionship. Your cages look awfully small for a tiel, with not many toys. Dowel perches are also bad for their feet in the long term. I would invest in a bigger cage for the two of them to share, if Greyson shows he likes Beta too. I did not see the wing spreading or flapping, but they are not even in the same cage, so I don't think it is a territorial thing, but a way to get out some energy. Most tiels every night just before bed fly around the house for a few laps , I Know it's a sign they are ready for bed soon after they exert their energy. I would definitely let them out for another hour or two before their bed time. I let out my tiel for 4-6 hours a day unless I'm sick or really busy.

With cages that small I would let your babies out all day if possible. It looks like they don't have much room to exercise or play.

Here are some pictures of my cage setup and outside of cage setup for my cockatiel.

Also , tiels should eat veges or sprouts every day in addition to seeds and pellets.

You can train them to step up for treats on a perch , or your finger if you put in the effort.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Also, forgot to mention, Cockatiels are not naturally aggressive birds. My female tiel loves climbing and she hangs upside down every day with her wings out, then moves her head side to side. It's to show off in my opinion, but don't interrupt her beautiful display or she may fake peck ya :). She loves it so much if I say wings she will spread them. She eventually flies off and returns back to normal, they cannot hang upside down forever :)

The treat stick is probably not healthy, most treat sticks are high in sugar (honey, molasses ,or corn syrup is used to keep seeds together. ) Once a week is how often you should give a high sugar treat. A better option is millet spray. Most tiels go crazy for it, even more then treat sticks!

All seed mixes have millet in them it's a staple to seed diets. But you will have to convert to better diets in time. You have their whole life to make a difference. Btw your tiels are beautiful, how old are they?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you so much! I was thinking that the cage was too small for them and that they should be in a larger cage. They came from small business pet shop. The lady told me that they needed to be in these cages separately cause they get aggressive. I saw no evidence of that while they were with me and while they are outside. They are always together. I didn’t question her cause I thought she was the expert, but in my gut there was something off about what she says and how they are behaving now.

I’m also trying to get the, to eat veggies, or a more varied diet, but i read in the stickies to go slow while introducing them. they could starve with the new food since they don’t know that it’s food. I started with pellets, and I’ll work my way up.

99907B43-40DA-4FDB-BE05-A9F6394F00B8.jpg

I will start looking for a bigger cage for them ASAP.

At this very moment, they are outside the cage.. well kinda. As you see in the picture.

Lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are around 3 months old. They are siblings =] they are so cute. Im still learning what cockatiel behavior is. I get so worried I’m doing something wrong. Ever since I read that they self harm when stressed, I get so worried. As someone who has history with that, I just want them to be happy and healthy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well ideally you never remove the food they like , while introducing new foods :). Two food dishes! I have four in my cage lol. One for veges, one for pellets, one for seed, one for foraging ( hiding a sunflower seed, pellets, dried veges in some paper - birds love to work for their food ! ) - when you get a larger cage you are going to want even more dishes for two birds :)

At three months of age, they will be easier to tame and try new foods.

Siblings don't normally hurt each other. It's usually birds that haven't been properly introduced that won't get along, in small cages.

Cockatiels are more laid back and very rarely hurt themselves. It's their much larger cousins, cockatoos , or African greys that are prone to plucking due to stress or boredom.

The lady told you they get aggressive because they probably would be upset having no space in a small cage. The minim size for a cockatiel cage is 19 x 19 x 25 inches for one tiel. For two you would need a 30 x 19 x 34 inch cage . Also, if she grabs birds often, she probably thinks they are aggressive because they bite due to fear. Fear biting is much different then aggression.

On a good note, your cages are perfect for vet visits, bringing outside during the summer for some fresh air and sunlight.

Tiels will show you warning signs before biting. They will hiss, back away, rapid fire fake peck if male, open their beak if they are scared.

They also can stand very still and turn skinny to hide , if scared.

Your little boys might also be girls as well. It's hard to tell until their first molt :)

So in conclusion, don't grab your birds( unless it's a huge danger like them flying out the door ) use a towel if you really need them in the cage soon and nothing else works .

You will want to try to hand tame these birds since they are young, and slowly introduce them to new things. Hand taming will involve hanging out with your birds, playing with their toys with them ( twisting paper in your hand that they like or straws, so many toy options for them ) and just showing them your hands nearby, without touching them. In time you can offer them their favourite food from your hand. Once they do that , u will want to teach them to step up. Once they reliably come to unto step up or hang out, this is when u start touching their beak , a quick touch then say, good bird and give it some bites from a millet stick. Millet sticks are one of the best favourite foods of tiels. Some have other preferences that will change in time , but the trusty millet stick ( spray ) usually always works :)

Here is a video of my tiel showing her wings and being playful, while getting bites of millet :)

https://youtu.be/bfeC5oRePho

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for the advice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UTZ040/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2S53DJ3K5MI51&colid=7NO2PUQVMW8P&psc=0

This a good cage for them?

And yes that’s exactly it! She grabs them. Im trying to teach them step up. Beta eats of of my hands. But I don’t know how to proceed from there?

Greyson is a shy cockatiel. However, he eats the millets until it’s right up in his face. That’s about it.

I’ve read somewhere that towels are a bad idea? Im not sure if it was this forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I see step up videos, they make it seem so effortlessly. And then why I try the method on my boys, it doesn’t work... but maybe it’s the time thing. Sometimes I feel like I’m doing something wrong.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah don't use towels often, only if you really don't have time to bring them back properly. It's just better then grabbing .

I will try to make a video to show you how I got my budgies to step up with millet, they were untame and scared of people when I first got them. Sounds like you are making great progress they already eat from your hand! That's wonderful news :)

The video looks like they are preening , one of them might be preening the other or preening himself while the other is begging to be preened, not sure because of the angle. Either way, they love each other and love to be near each other , nothing to worry about :) if they weren't getting along one would be moving away.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Cage looks like perfect size for two tiels :) your birds will be very happy. The side doors some tiels learn to open u may need to zip tie them. I personally would pick a cage with more windows so the birds don't fly out whenever u change their food, but that's personal preference.

Add some more natural branches, sisal rope perch, toys, a sea grass mat for climbing fun and that cage will be a birdie haven :) oh and cactus wood perches are a lot of fun for hiding treats and pellets :)

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alrighty. =] thanks. I feel more encouraged. The birdies have been out of their cage since 8 AM.. awesome. Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts