Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if it's okay to introduce a female indian ring neck to my two tiel girls.. there is one up for adoption at the moment and I'm interested in giving her a forever home. I have a spare big bird cage so Id be able to house the IRN from my cockatiels , but would there be any other problems I'd face? E.g separate out of cage times

(It seems like I only come here for questions, but I swear I'll show off my cute tiels some day).

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi there, my partner and I have a 2 year old hand reared female IRN named Georgie as well as a flock of 7 cockatiels. She is housed separately. 5 of our 'tiels are in a huge flight cage in the same room as our IRN's cage. She loves the 'tiels dearly and when she was younger I would let them out for supervised out-of-cage time together every day and they would get along fine. But as Georgie matured and went through her hormonal puberty stage, I can no longer let them out together as she nipped the end of our 'tiel Coco's toe (right in front of me, it happened so fast). It was lucky she didn't completely sever his toe (or his leg!) because her beak power and strength goes beyond what one would assume for an IRN sized bird.

So now Georgie gets let out of her cage in the morning for a few hours and after she is safely away the 'tiels get their time out of the cage. They sing and chatter with each other all day (Georgie is very vocal and mimics many sounds as well as wolf whistles and meows!) but they no longer have physical contact.

Sure, there are many cases of these two breeds getting along wonderfully (and that's usually when they are raised together as babies) but in my case I didn't think it was worth the risk. IRN's are STRONG for their size, and although 'tiels are very quick and nimble they can't always get away in time. So if you are considering adopting an IRN I would advise separate out-of-cage time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops I meant to say separate housing in my first post haha, I'm aware they can be aggressive so I wouldn't want my birds getting hurt!

Thank you for the input! Sorry to hear about Coco though :( poor baby but I'm relieved that he didnt lose his toe !!

I'll definitely give them separate out of cage times in that case.. my younger tiel is a lot weaker and timid, I wouldn't want to risk her getting hurt!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's a good call. Coco is my "special needs" 'tiel, he can't actually fly due to a permanent wing injury that happened when he was kicked out of the nest at 4 weeks old. He is a very small 'tiel and only weighs 75g. He was on a perch that sits outside the 'tiel cage's door with his head bowed asking me for a scratch and Georgie flew down from her playtop and onto the perch beside him. She didn't mean to hurt him, it was a mere "move over" nudge but the tip of her beak got his toe and it was a very minor cut but could've been so much worse. Both my partner and I have never had a bite from Georgie ourselves though.

Anyway, IRN's are beautiful birds with a ton of personality! How old is the IRN you are thinking of adopting? What's her name and what colour is she? :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awww nooo! Coco seems pretty unlucky with accidents, but I'm sure he's still a happy loved bird >_<

I'm not sure of her age yet, but she's blue! The rescue shelter just named her 'Indi' for now haha, I did ask if they know her age though. Just waiting for a response :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.