Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I just found this forum (as well as the Tailfeathers forum).
My daughter expressed an interest in owning a pet bird... my husband took her seriously and started looking into it as well.. next thing I know, he really wants to get a Cockatiel.

We went out to meet a 4 month old male at a local breeder. Immediately we all (including myself), fell in love with the little guy. 4 days later we had all of the supplies we needed and we picked him up.

He was such a sweetheart, we all loved him so much and he seemed really happy with us.... One week after picking him up my mom emailed me at work (she lives with us) and said he was sleeping all day.. even when the kids had him on their laps, he was just sleeping. I emailed the breeder after work to ask if I should be concerned. She said to make sure he was eating and drinking (my husband and daughter say they saw him drink, but I personally did not)... and she would come out in the morning....

At 4:30am I woke up to feed the cats and he was dead.
We have been heartbroken... and we all still miss him.... the breeder has a new baby that she will send us pictures of as soon as she takes him out of the nest box to hand feed him...... I am so scared that we did something wrong and I dont want to do it again!!!! We have read up about the dangers to Cockatiels, and we had before we got our Cockatiel, so I dont know what happened!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Awe so sorry to hear about the loss. I'm sure your heartbroken. Who knows what may have happened. If he was eating and drinking. It's hard to say. Just wanted to say sorry. Don't let that detour u from getting another. Who knows maybe he had something from the beginning. They say it's hard to tell with birds a lot of times when they r sick until it's too late.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss - welcome to the forum though from Percy and me!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
**Hugs** So sorry to hear about your loss :( It sucks when they pass...and they can pass so suddenly!
Maybe one day you'll get another tiel...who knows :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts