Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I adopted an 8 week old pearl pied (I think) cockatiel. I named the bird Ripley and this bird is seriously my best friend. We do everything together. I really would like to know what his/her gender is, and I was wondering if anyone on the forum could help me out with that. He/she wolf whistles at me and makes calling noises a lot often mimicking my budgies, he/she doesn't bite much and has never hissed, but does make a low screeching sound if annoyed or if enjoying pets.

I know it shouldn't matter to me, but I really want to make sure I have the gender right. I thought Ripley was a boy for the longest time, but now I'm just not sure. Please help if you can! :cinnamon pearl:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ripley is definitely pearl! I'm not sure about pied myself, as I'm not very good with the pearl mutation, so hopefully someone else can answer that. Ripley looks like a normal rather than pied, but I'm really not sure.

With the pearl mutation, if Ripley is a boy, he will actually lose all those beautiful speckles and become grey. If Ripley is a girl, she will keep the speckles. This should happen when Ripley is around 6 mo - 1 year old.

But, with the behavior you mention, I am thinking Ripley is a boy. While some females can learn to wolf whistle, it's uncommon. And I'm pretty sure it's even more uncommon for them to mimic other birds. Just my suspicion :) So if Ripley's a boy, sadly he will lose those pretty pearls, BUT you will have a lovely, whistling, chattering companion :) If a girl, you'll have a gorgeous buddy who may be quieter but I'm sure will still chew the keys off your keyboard LOL!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing pics :D Ripley's so cute and I love that name, haven't heard it before and it's wonderful!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ripley is definitely pearl! I'm not sure about pied myself, as I'm not very good with the pearl mutation, so hopefully someone else can answer that. Ripley looks like a normal rather than pied, but I'm really not sure.

With the pearl mutation, if Ripley is a boy, he will actually lose all those beautiful speckles and become grey. If Ripley is a girl, she will keep the speckles. This should happen when Ripley is around 6 mo - 1 year old.

But, with the behavior you mention, I am thinking Ripley is a boy. While some females can learn to wolf whistle, it's uncommon. And I'm pretty sure it's even more uncommon for them to mimic other birds. Just my suspicion :) So if Ripley's a boy, sadly he will lose those pretty pearls, BUT you will have a lovely, whistling, chattering companion :) If a girl, you'll have a gorgeous buddy who may be quieter but I'm sure will still chew the keys off your keyboard LOL!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing pics :D Ripley's so cute and I love that name, haven't heard it before and it's wonderful!
Aw thanks XD Yeah he thinks all of my electronics ( my laptop, iphone, ds) are his personal play things and loves to bite off the keys and pull at it. He's hilarious. You try to take them away from him and he runs away with them.

Just now he started mimicking birds that he's heard outside. Both my fiance and I were flabbergasted. He only just started to do that. My little mimicker :D

Yeah I call him Ripples for short but I love him so much. Thank you for the compliments. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cutie

Ripples is darling! He actually looks a lot like my baby Fabio. I've only had Fabio for a few days, but he's prety quiet so far. How long have you had Ripley now? And how long was it before he started whistling?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ripples is darling! He actually looks a lot like my baby Fabio. I've only had Fabio for a few days, but he's prety quiet so far. How long have you had Ripley now? And how long was it before he started whistling?
I've had Ripley for a little over 2 months. I got him in late August. I don't know if he is a boy or a girl but I just call him a boy for now. He started whistling...at least mimicking the wolf whistle about a month after I got him and then he started to mimic my budgies and sing to himself while he was playing or grooming. Just tonight he started mimicking birds he hears outside. It's pretty amazing how accurate he is.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
he's beautiful! since he's wolf whistling it's highly likely he's a boy, though some girls do wolf whistle.
you should know in a few months, because if it's a boy, all the pearl marks will moult out and he'll be mostly gray on his back. if it's a girl, she'll stay just like that.
you could dna test otherwise - if you really want to know. it only costs $20-30 dollars. depends how desperate you are ;)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Ripley is adorable. Trying the innocent face pose! LOL! With a key in his/her beak.

Very cute!

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
He is too cute! My 3 chicks look exactly like him (I am going to say male, only a guess though going by the behavior). :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Probably a male, he's beautiful!! I do, though have a female, Starlight, a pearl lutino, that wolf whistles well and says pretty bird but she is 100% female (vet checked, mating behavior etc). But you will know when he's about 10 months to a year with the first molt, I'm still figuring Pippin out myself. Either way, that is one beautiful tiel!!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have a cinnamon pearl pied hen who wolf whistles sometimes... But other than that it is just a one note contact call... Yours sounds most likely to be male.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts