Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No-Name! Well, her name is actually Naava, but we don't like that and she doesn't respond to it anyway. She's a 6 month old Boxer mix!

She's been fantastic so far. She stayed very calm on the 40 minute drive home. She wasn't fearful at all of my dad, who's a larger and taller guy. She was a dream in the bath, especially after my last dog wouldn't tolerate baths at all. She loved the neighbor dogs. She's sweet and gentle and playful. She's had two accidents so far, but that isn't her fault. She's never been in a home, and her life has always been living in a kennel that she's allowed to use the bathroom in anytime she wants.

So! I was hoping you guys could help me think of a name. :) We can't think of anything!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Congratulations! She's pretty. Boxers are good dogs.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys :) she really is gorgeous. I'd really like a name with a long A sound, in case she thinks her name is Naava (NAY-vuh) after all... I was thinking maybe Hazel.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Animals respond best to a name with 2 sharp syllables in it. When we got Q-Tip at the shelter, she was called Penny, but I didn't like that name much and changed it to Q-Tip. Q-Tip and Penny sound nothing alike. And, since she's so young, you pretty much have the freedom to call her anything; she probably doesn't know her original name.

Congratulations! I don't know a thing about dogs, so is she one of those breeds that will get big when adulthood is reached?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
She's so adorable! It is clear you are meant for each other, from the last picture. I'm so happy you found each other. :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
She is soo gorgeous!! :love:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
God I can't find anything wrong with her. She - a 6 month old puppy - laid right down and went to sleep without fussing after I put her in her crate last night. She didn't make a single sound all night. I took her outside to pee at 2 AM, but that was because I thought I heard her moving around and turned on the light. She wasn't moving around like I thought, but she was up and ready to do something after I turned on that light lol.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I used to volunteer in a rescue kennel and adopted a dog from there. I think they have some understanding of what is happening because they seem to be more faithful and try harder to please, almost like they are thankful. I like to believe that anyway!
I am enjoying hearing about your new dog.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We decided on the name Ava, since it's the same exact thing as Naava, just without the N. She's already learned how to sit and how to function the dog flap! She LOVES our big fenced in yard. She's been running around like crazy.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Awwww! What a cutie :D Glad you settled on a name! Choosing names seems to be the hardest part (but the most fun) when bringing home a new bud.

·
Registered
786 Posts
She is beautiful, looks like such a sweet soul. You two look like you were made for each other :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone :) I think she also knows that she's my dog. She follows me around everywhere. But, if I'm gone, she doesn't go crazy looking for me or have separation anxiety. I can't find anything I don't like about her - she's a perfect angel!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thank you, moonchild <3

She's doing wonderfully, thanks for asking, Phoenix! As I write this, it's 6:31 AM, and she's cuddled up with me in bed... She's learned that if she gets up to do her nightly potty break at around 6 AM or later, I let her into the bed with me for the rest of the night <_< Her behavior is fantastic all around - no aggression, barely barks, loves every person she meets. My only complaint is that she likes to steal things and take them outside... :p But that's just a puppy thing, and at least she doesn't chew things up when she does that.

I've taken dozens of pictures and videos, but I'm on my phone right now, which has no pictures on it because it ran out of memory so I imported all the pics to my computer to make some space. I'll get on my computer later and post a few :)

Oh! Also, upon some research, I've determined that she is actually a Plott Hound, not a Boxer. Makes much more sense - I always thought Boxer didn't sound quite right, anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts