Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish this wasn't my first post, because otherwise I have found the posted thread on the proper procedure to introducing new 'tiels and I probably wouldn't be writing now...

We rescued a younger female cockatiel in the hopes that we could get her and our 8yo male cockatiel to bond.
He's been alone for all of those years other than having a "pretty good" bond with my wife.
The first night we had them side by side in different cages and things looked great between them. They were dancing and mirroring each other as they climbed around the cages; she even regurgitated for him!

So we excitedly put their cages together the next day and she climbed right in and started to follow him around.
It's almost been 3 weeks (on monday) and he seems to be indifferent towards her. He hasn't been overly friendly and most of the time he seems to scoot away from her when she comes around. Sometimes it looks like she's following him around.
They do chirp back and forth between each other though.
And he has sung to her as she ate from a new millet spray that I put in the cage, something he normally does for my wife.
And he has sung to her as she has eaten out of the food tray...

Unfortunately, he does seem enjoy standing below her and chewing/biting on her tail feathers; it's pretty obvious how often he does this as her feathers are pretty chewed up.
Is it too late to do anything for these two? We desperately wanted them to be preening each other rather than biting...

Here are a couple of pics of today's millet feeding, not sure about reading a 'tiels body language so any input would be appreciated. (He's never been one to raise his crown either.)
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
380 Posts
They look good together. Three weeks and no real fighting? I take that as a good sign. We have a pair that are at about the same place yous are. give it time and see what happens, thats what we're doing. I hope they get along well! They are both very pretty!

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I'm not sure about him biting her tail, but keep a close eye on them and be careful because he could start plucking/pulling out her feathers and tail feathers - that's when you will have to separate them.

They're both beautiful Cockatiels though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so now it's been almost 2 months since we got the new cockatiel, Gracie.
Last Sunday we went out and got a nest box for her since it looked like she was wanting something other than the food dish!
In the last week the transformation between them is incredible, he's being so kind to her and protective of her and she is definitely getting ready to lay an egg...
It's funny to watch him now as she croons to him, he's almost like a bumbling teenager as he tries to preen her. I'm sure he'll lose the awkwardness soon enough!

Thanks again for the info and help, we'll be lurking about and updating as things happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts