Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Have had our little ones for two weeks now and we haven't really tried them on fruit and vegetables just yet. I have put some tomato and grated carrot in front of them to see what they do. Harley will pick at it for a second then lose interest and Rosie doesn't even look at it. I'm wondering what tips anyone might have for meon trying to get them to eat. Should I try putting the food in my hand?

Also, I read on a local vet website that cockatiels should only have 2-3 level tablespoons of seed per day and that they should have limited access. At the moment we leave a bowl of seed in there which is probably more than 6 tablespoons between the two of them. I don't want to overfeed them but I don't want to starve them either.

Lastly, I have noticed that sometimes when they're out playing they will peck at their own poo. What does this mean and can it make them sick??

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
As far as the seed goes.. I'm wondering if the Vet is concerned about an all seed diet. My birds always have their seed cups in their cages but they are also really good about eating everything else besides. Sometimes birds don't like the size of the veggie/fruit.. try different sizes/textures.. holding it.. clipping it on the side of the cage.. putting it in different spots. They also seem to be more curious if they see you eating something first. I have no clue on the poo.

·
Registered
163 Posts
With the eating their own poo thing it's usually because when birds poop, nutrients get flushed out to to make room for new ones, so sometimes if they are lacking a certain one, they might eat their poop from what I've read. Or they might just be curious :)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Ya. Ive heard that if you intruduce a new food to a cockatiel, then it start weird things!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts