Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the intial 30 day quarantine and then I will put the new girl in a cage beside my male. How long after that should I be able to put them in the same cage?

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can take them out to see how they get along but I think you can put them when they preen each other or at least they can be together without hissing haha

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do not come out. Due to the fact we have dogs. Therefore they will not be preening ea. other until they are in the one cage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
unless you're talking about a large aviary, I dont really think its Okay to keep cockatiels in that situation, they have to get out of their cage, you either need to find a way for them to be out, or find a new home for them

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
They do not come out. Due to the fact we have dogs.
I think this can be worked around. I have two cats (used to be three) but my 'tiels still get time out of their cage every day, because they have their own room and the cats are always in another room/outside while the birds get to fly around. I think it would be cruel to never let them out and therefore never let them stretch their wings and exercise, which is vital for muscle strength and overall health.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also think it's vital for them to fly everyday. Mine's have the cage door open almost all the day. Maybe you could carry them to another room to exercise and know each other!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to know how long to leave them in separate cages before putting her in with him. I will work something out for the time out of cage after they are together. That wasn't the point of my thread at all.

·
Registered
885 Posts
It depends entirely on the birds and how they get along. If they don't mesh well together while they're out of the cage, they will not be suitable cage mates and will require separate cages. There really isn't a time-frame for this, it all depends on the birds.

And when you post on a cockatiel forum that your birds never come out of their cage, of course people are going to comment on that. Having other pets is really no excuse. I have several birds of different species, and I also have three large dogs with very high prey drives, and my birds always get lots of safe out-of-cage time every day.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You shouldn't just stick them in each others' cages, they can be territorial and attack the 'invader'. It's important to let them meet outside of the cage on neutral territory. You can put your dogs outside or in a different room while the birds are out. They do need outside cage time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts