Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi and thank you for the warm welcome in the Intro.

Here is a picture of Greyson. He just finished eating his Beak Appetit birdy mash and had it all over his face. I had to clean it off, but you can still see some dirty feathers around his beak. LOL

My first question is, if he is a male, at what age do they actually start whistling more than just a flock call etc.? The breeder thought it was a male, because he has 2 little new tail feathers coming out and they are all dark grey without any barring......?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Greyson is gorgeous :) what a cute little man you have :) how old is he? some start chattering right away and others take a few weeks to get use to there new home.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Hi he is too cute. I would say a male but Iam not a 100 % sure. My cockatiel Spike is 6 months old and says around 35 different words. Spike was four months when he said his first word (pretty bird) And shortley before that he stoped his static crying which I thought would never end :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody. I'm glad you all think it's a male also, because I was really hoping for a male since I love their ability to whistle and sing so well. I it were a female, I would love it just the same, though.
I'm not too stuck on him learning to talk. If he does that's great, if not, no big deal. I have a Quaker who talks up a storm and won't ever shut up with his smart alec comments. One smarty pants bird is enough, LOL.

Another question that I have: Are Cockatiels in general more of a perch potatoe than other parrots? What is their activity level? I know that he is still new and nees more time to adjust and feel really 100% comfy and secure. He just appears to me less active than either my Quaker or Canary, both who are moving constantly all day long.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Another question that I have: Are Cockatiels in general more of a perch potatoe than other parrots? What is their activity level?

It's moderate to low. Not to be confused with doing nothing at all which is a sign of illness. They have their energetic moments but they won't ever be jumping around the way budgies do for example. Your baby is still getting use to his new home so he probably hasn't come out of his shell just yet.:)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Greyson is such a cutie! :D Thanks for introducing us to him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts