Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have been noticing little brown insects walking on my tiel's neck and down his back. The insect is long and thin though it is only about 2-3 mm long, it lives deep into the feathers which is really hard to get out. He have been itching alot lately and it is causing his feathers to fall out. from time to time the whole feather comes out but alot of the time when he scratches, small flakes fall off and small, puffy feathers comes out of him. I have tried bathing and spraying him in lemongrass water (which doesn't really work), but i also heard that vinegar helps and dog shampoo can get rid of it. I really want to try home remedies before going to the vet. Thanks :)

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
sounds like lice.

DO NOT use home remedies! dog shampoo is meant for dogs, you have no clue if it is safe.

the vet will prescribe proper medication.

every year i wind up raising baby wild birds. one year i had 6 baby starlings. they had mites. used petstore mite spray on them and they ALL died that night from seizures. it was a very very hard lesson. for mites and lice, dont risk your bird's life. go to the vet for the safe medication. using wrong chemicals can kill your bird, i learned that the hard way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts