Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see a small bit of blood inside Lokis cere and he has a small cut on the cere because he flew into the bookcase his wings are clipped because he was having trouble flying and was getting hurt but he can still fly a little bit.How can I teach him to fly properly and not hit stuff.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
he was having trouble flying and was getting hurt but he can still fly a little bit.How can I teach him to fly properly and not hit stuff.
he knows how to fly he just hits stuff thats why I clipped him to prevent him getting hurt.
Honestly I would advise against clipping in this case. It's only going to make him more unstable and more likely to crash into things. It sounds like Loki hasn't had a proper opportunity to learn how to fly, and clipping him is not going to help him learn. I would let his wings grow out and let him learn to fly at his own pace and establish some balance. They're actually less likely to hurt themselves when they're fully flighted.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Again this is an old thread and that wouldnt help he knows how to fly he just hits stuff thats why I clipped him to prevent him getting hurt.
Sorry I was just going through all the unanswered threads trying to help people that had been completely ignored. :D

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly I would advise against clipping in this case. It's only going to make him more unstable and more likely to crash into things. It sounds like Loki hasn't had a proper opportunity to learn how to fly, and clipping him is not going to help him learn. I would let his wings grow out and let him learn to fly at his own pace and establish some balance. They're actually less likely to hurt themselves when they're fully flighted.
I am letting them grow out he knows how to fly I think its he dosent know how to turn or something I cant explain it he can still fly clipped too.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I am letting them grow out he knows how to fly I think its he dosent know how to turn or something I cant explain it he can still fly clipped too.
Ozzie was terrible at flying when I got him too; Now, a year later, he's an ace at flying and making swift, tight turns. ^_^
Give him time. :) Give him a chance to practice and "find his wings", so to speak.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ozzie was terrible at flying when I got him too; Now, a year later, he's an ace at flying and making swift, tight turns. ^_^
Give him time. :) Give him a chance to practice and "find his wings", so to speak.
Rocko is a great flyer and he would never fly away from me even if we were outside.I was in the bathroom and my mam was in the backgarden and Rocko flew to the door because he was in the next room and he was standing there watching my mam hang the clothes up on the line and my mam saw him and quickly put him back inside wont be leaving him alone again next time I go to the bathroom he can wait upstairs but I know he wouldnt fly away from me but like most people I wouldnt wanna risk losing him so I would never bring him out without his harness.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Rocko is a great flyer and he would never fly away from me even if we were outside.
This is exactly how birds end up lost. No matter how sure you may be, you can't count on it. It is so easy for something to spook them and send them flying off in a panic, no matter how much they love and trust you.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
This is exactly how birds end up lost. No matter how sure you may be, you can't count on it. It is so easy for something to spook them and send them flying off in a panic, no matter how much they love and trust you.
I know someone with a VERY bonded quaker... He is clipped and went outside regularly with his owners.. One day he spooked and flew, luckily he only went to the neighbors yard where they caught him, however they too thought he would NEVER fly away! They were very lucky and learned their lesson and he does not go outside free anymore.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I know what you mean. Coco doesn't really know how to steer himself while in flight either, and often ends up on the floor/clinging to the curtain/crashed into the wall. He is fully flighted but one of his wings has a permanent injury. I'm trying to improve his strength by kind of throwing him up into the air so he can fly short distances, and gradually increasing the distance. He's learnt now that even when I hold him up high he knows it's time to practice. :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I think I know that I already said I wouldnt risk it so why you jumping on me for I already told u stay off my threads and im not gonna say it again.I would never bring Rocko outside without a harness.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know someone with a VERY bonded quaker... He is clipped and went outside regularly with his owners.. One day he spooked and flew, luckily he only went to the neighbors yard where they caught him, however they too thought he would NEVER fly away! They were very lucky and learned their lesson and he does not go outside free anymore.
I would never bring Rocko outside without a harness I know they can get spooked im saying he would never leave me on purpose that dosent mean im gonna bring him out without a harness.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know what you mean. Coco doesn't really know how to steer himself while in flight either, and often ends up on the floor/clinging to the curtain/crashed into the wall. He is fully flighted but one of his wings has a permanent injury. I'm trying to improve his strength by kind of throwing him up into the air so he can fly short distances, and gradually increasing the distance. He's learnt now that even when I hold him up high he knows it's time to practice. :)
Hes getting a harness on Monday and ill practice a few flights with him inside and when he gets his harness ill get him to wear the harness hes almost harness trained ive been using Rockos harness to practice and outside he can have more space to fly.I always get Rocko to fly wall to wall outside.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yeah I think I know that I already said I wouldnt risk it so why you jumping on me for I already told u stay off my threads and im not gonna say it again.I would never bring Rocko outside without a harness.
Public forum... Not YOUR threads.. Jus sayin! She wasn't jumping you for it, she was stating many many people think that same way and have lost birds and regretted it afterwards, no need to get rude!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Public forum... Not YOUR threads.. Jus sayin! She wasn't jumping you for it, she was stating many many people think that same way and have lost birds and regretted it afterwards, no need to get rude!
I dont care if its a public forum its still a thread I posted so does that mean I can ask questions on other peoples threads no I cant because its their thread.And I can be rude if I wanna be rude and that wasnt rude.And know she wasnt stating anything she knows clearly what I said shes always saying things on my threads and sometimes not reading what im saying properly.Do you honestly think I care what you have to say im sick of some people on this forum read peoples threads properly and if you dont understand bye bye.And if you dont like the way I act towards u then dont bother coming on my threads.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Like I said before, I'm not going to let potentially dangerous information stand on the forum. I don't want to see anyone's birds get hurt. And really, no need for rudeness. The only one jumping on anybody here is you.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I said before, I'm not going to let potentially dangerous information stand on the forum. I don't want to see anyone's birds get hurt. And really, no need for rudeness. The only one jumping on anybody here is you.
Haha thats soo funny you never read properly and you always Accuse me of saying things I never said all because you didnt read properly and I can be rude if I wanna be rude im not gonna be nice for you im only nice to people who I like and your clearly not one of those people if your always judging me.And wheres the dangerous information oh wait theres none how can anyones bird get hurt you seriously have to be thick in the head if you think theres dangerous information on this thread haha.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
That attitude is really going to get you far in life.

The thing is that these threads don't exist in a vacuum and they are not solely yours. So although you might know that you shouldn't risk letting Rocco near the door again, a new bird owner reading this might not, and might think it's okay to let their bird do that since their bird loves/trusts them. That's why it's necessary to reiterate the point that vigilance is always important.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.