Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been taking care of my friend's 7-year-old cockatiel, Maurice, for the past two months as she's been hospitalized.

Since yesterday, Maurice has been favoring the left foot. He would always keep his right foot tucked in when he's standing and has a weaker grip. He also seems to be limping a bit when he walks. Other than that, his behaviors seems to be normal (e.g. eating, singing, etc.).

I've made an appointment with the vet, but he won't be seen for two days. There aren't many vets around here that take avian patients.

I'm wondering if this appears to be a sprain? His nails look a bit long so his toes may have been caught in something. I'm worried about it getting worse over the next two days. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
When a tiel is comfortable they will tuck a foot up against their body. This is actually normal behavior for them and nothing to be concerned about. The long nails could be why he is limping. What kind of perches are in the cage?

·
Registered
350 Posts
It might help if you post a picture of the tiel's leg. A sprain will have lots of swelling that you will be able to feel, so you can feel that leg and compare it to the healthy one to see if it has any swelling.

If a bird's nails get too long it will cause them to walk funny, which one might mistake for limping, and that can eventually lead to damage to the foot. Here's how you can tell if the nails are too long: set the bird on a flat surface like a counter or table and watch them stand and walk around a bit; if their toes are pointing up into the air instead of laying flat on the surface then the nails are too long. You said that you're taking him to the vet, though, so the vet should be able to tell if the nails are too long anyways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts