Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 4 year old pair were put in the breeding cage on the 7th of february and like every season prior they proceeded as usual 1st egg laid on the 16th, 2nd on the 18th, 3rd on 20th, but unlike other times they ddint start brooding after the 2nd egg was laid, how long are the eggs okay for before i need to be worried about egg number 1?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i notice they will go into the nest box quite frequently and then all of a sudden both will come out, do you think its just that they want all eggs to hatch around the same time, ive always gotten 4 babies from them but usually its the first 2 that hatch within hours of eachother

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
4 babies from them but usually its the first 2 that hatch within hours of each other
-------------------------------------------------

LOL....I have had a pair that would not incubate unril ALL the eggs were laid, they would start a day after the last egg, and then ALL hatched within hours of each other.

I have also learned that if you have a pair that is not good at feeding the smaller/last chicks and you lose them, what you can do is pull the first egg or two, and store it at room temp, turning the egg several times a day. Once you see the pair starting to incubate return the eggs. Then these will hatch within hours of the other chicks hatching so that the chicks are similar in size.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts