Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I haven't been on here in a long time. I've been breeding Cockatiels, linnies and conures for years. I do not have a incubator. I usually will just foster any eggs or young to another pair if abandoned. Well I just had a pair abandon 10 eggs. 3 I put with another pair. And 7 I put under some linnie babies I am handfeeding. They are in a small cage with a heating pad and covered for warmth. I also put a container of water for humidity. Do you think they will hatch this way? Do I have to turn the eggs? If so how often? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Yes, the eggs do need to be turned. The chances for success will depend on the temperature and humidity, and you can control these better with an enclosed container than with a cage. If you google for homemade incubator you will find sites telling how to make an effective home incubator. The Incubation Handbook on the Brinsea website has a lot of useful information about incubation in general: http://www.brinsea.com/Brochures/BrinseaHandbook.pdf

·
Registered
69 Posts
I almost think you'd be better to place all the eggs under your foster pair and let them do the work. Then pull babies as they hatch if needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts