Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(First off, hi! I'm new here.. decided to put this in the Cockatiel Talk rather than introductions section because it's more talk than intro.)

Attached is a picture of my rescue boy Frankie.. He came with an improperly healed broken toe. He can't use that foot to grasp onto things anymore, so he uses his beak to support himself as he gets around instead.

Does anyone have any suggestions for toys / activities that would increase his mobility or encourage him to play while still being able to support himself? Before he was rescued he spent all day, every day in his cage and he's hesitant to even consider toys that necessitate leaving a support.

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
How nice that you adopted him! Welcome to the group also :) You might try some smaller toys or chew toys that you can mount in the cage but lower to the ground. Is he able to sit on perches OK? Putting the toys near his perches might help also. His nails look awfully long, but that may be just the angle of the picture. You might want to try trimming them very slightly, just the tips, to see if it makes any difference so that he doesn't catch his nails on things. Long nails can get caught in toys or on carpets and there toes are so tiny they can easily break. Just some random thoughts....:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I especially like the idea of putting toys low down to the cage bottom.

His nails were indeed extremely long when this picture was taken.. another thing his old owner didn't take care of. I've since added a concrete perch to his cage to help wear them down and trimmed the tips as short as I dare. It'll be a while before he's tame enough to let me restrain him for a proper trim.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Also, I recommend getting some flat perches if you haven't already. They are extremely easy on bird feet and don't require any perching at all :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
If he's tame enough - step up using your fingers as stairs might help him build strength in his other toes. That's one of the first things I taught my two tiels was step up. It's a great thing for them to know especially if you let them fly and they fly to weird areas. Just do it again and again. My Ringo now even says it 'step up' when I ask him to.

What a sweetie you are - good luck. xxxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts