Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - so I guess I have to admit defeat and write this post. Peanut is approx. 8 months and was the tamest, sweetest boy...that is until recently. Lately he has been giving me a hard time to get back in his cage at night and he started "nipping" at my hand when I would tell him to step up to place him back in his cage. At the time I summed it up to his molting. As of late, it has gotten to the point that he lunges at me with an open beak when I show him my hand and tell him to step up. He is now biting hard and has drawn blood a few times. I try to keep cool and calm, but it's getting hard to remain patient. It has now gotten to the point that as soon as he comes out of his cage, it becomes a fiasco to get him back in...literally it takes a minimum of 15-20 min. This of course doesn't work when I'm trying to get out the door and to work ?. I'm puzzled as to the sudden, increasing aggression as nothing has changed in Peanuts routine or environment. I'd like to see Peanut revert back to his nice self, and thus ask for advice and recommendations on altering his current behavior. Thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sounds like he may be hormonal. You might try covering his cage for a full 12 hours at night. They can get awfully cranky during this time of year when their hormones are up. It will pass, and you will have your sweet boy back soon :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like he may be hormonal. You might try covering his cage for a full 12 hours at night. They can get awfully cranky during this time of year when their hormones are up. It will pass, and you will have your sweet boy back soon
I hope it's hormones lol...It sucks that he's become so aggressive. I read the other posts about how sweet and gentle so many of the tiels here are and I think, man, why can't that be Peanut too. Well here's hoping it's just a phase... :/

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
It sounds like hormones to me too.

Joey has recently gotten hormonal, grouchy. hissy, nippy and territorial in the last few days. Part of it is he isn't getting his full sleep these days. My mother in law has been sharing the living room with him during her visit since we moved from a two bedroom apartment into a one bedroom. She goes home tomorrow so he will be back to his regular sleep pattern. Well, probably into longer nights for a while. She bought him a toy with a mirror on it and after it was in a couple days he really got territorial and grumpy. I am trying to figure out how to take the mirror off without damaging the toy, because he loves the toy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts