Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm worried about my baby tiel. I just brought him home last Sunday afternoon and he seems to be a bit sad. He is very quiet and doesn't like to be in his cage. I let him perch on top of his cage, and all he does is eat and sleep. Another thing I've noticed is that he doesn't have a good grip yet. I've placed his perch as low as I can in his cage but I've seen him slip off from it a couple of times. Is this all normal behaviour since he still a baby (he hatched early February)?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
He is probably still getting use to his new home he is still very young and this is all new to him different cage, people etc... he is probably not gripping that great yet because of his age that will come in time he is eating so thats a good sign, just keep an eye on him give him a few more days to see if he comes around more.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I agree with laura its probably just due to the fact he is still young and has just moved away from the breeder which can be very stressful for some birds if he doesn't improve maybe a visit to an avian vet would be useful but i reckon in a few days he will be much improved as long as he's eating and sleeping well and his grip will probably improve because he would have only just learned to perch within the past few weeks its like when someone learns to walk they are start of very slowly but eventually get better! but good luck with him!!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
He is still quite young, so he will have to get use to the perches and his new cage! :) many young tiels have this problem of not been able to get around the cage very well, but they get better at moving around! :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
Give him some time. My baby was the clumsiest thing ever, we'd hear "thunk...patter patter...thunk" when he ran around the top of his cage because he kept putting his foot through the grate on accident and falling on his stomach. Or he'd lean to inspect something, go a little too far, and fall headfirst to the floor :blush:

Let him get comfortable, he'll figure things out; He's just like a toddler learning how to stand on two feet right now.

Grats on the baby :D
________
SARDINIAN COOKING

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
when i got stretch he was quiet for the first month or so then all noise broke loose it took him a good three months to be able to figure the gripping thing also

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your advices. I guess the change of environment can be a factor as to why he is so quiet. He is eating pretty well so I'm not worried that he is not getting his nutrition. I've noticed that he likes a lot of affection. As soon as we come home (and he is inside his cage) he chirps and starts climbing on the side of the cage.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Thats a very good sign if he is wanting your affection and that he is eating well some tiels regress with eating when they go to new homes so thats good your not having that problem ;)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Cookie was a bit like that when she was just a baby. So was Bailee. As long as he doesn't seem to be losing weight, he's eating and his poops are normal i would just put it down to baby clumsiness and a new home! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts