Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My whiteface cinnamon tiel is 9 weeks old now. I named him Sebastian because I think he's a boy. I see solid tail feathers coming through so I'm assuming boy. Just wanted some second opinions! :wf cinnamon:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Any idea on parents? That would be your best indicator. It's still pretty young to tell, but solid tail feathers could definitely mean boy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea on parents. I know that he had two siblings. One was a whiteface cinnamon like he is and the other was a white face Lutino.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Then this is likely a boy because cinnamon was on one of the father's z chromosome and lutino was on the other.

So this boy is either split cinnamon or split lutino plus the mutation of the mother (or lack thereof).

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Too early to tell visually but he/she is absolutely gorgeous! :love:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get lost when it comes to genetics! They just don't make sense to me and are very confusing. Thanks for giving me some insight. It doesn't matter to me what he is, he's the sweetest thing!

And thanks Vickitiels! I fell in love when I saw him!

·
Registered
183 Posts
He is so lovely! He reminds me to mine, who is 11 weeks approximately.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Too young to sex, dad could be split Lutino which means you can get non-lutino hens. only if dad is visual will you get all lutino hens. without knowing which dad is you wont be able to tell. you won't notice a difference in gender until approx 6-12 months after their first moult

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
After his first molt if he gets an all white face then you have a sure indicator that you've got a boy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I'm almost positive Sebastian is a boy. He has began whistling and singing with my other male. It's really cute. He's even picked up on some songs already!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sebastian's a beauty :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts