Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:thumbu::D I just got a new Cockaeil yesterday and let me tell you he was as mean and scared as a lttle one could be. Just trying to get him out of the box into his new cage I took four good blood drawing bites. So this morning after leaving him in his cage for most of the day yesterday, after I managed to catch him and put him in there that is. I decided this morning it was time for his first training session. I opened his cage and he flew out almost imediatly. So I got down on the floor to his level and managed to get a hold of him. He's drawing blood the whole time of course. So I took him into the bathroom closed the shower curtian and the toilet and put him on the floor and sat on the floor myself. The I started talking with my hand open in front of him I talked about everything how pretty I thought he was and what a good boy he is and I sang songs and then when I saw he was calm I said okay its time to try step ups. I put my open hand under his belly and gave a little push he stepped up but was also giving me another good bite at the same time. So I said go ahead and bite me I don't care I'm not going to hurt you I like you well he stopped bitting me and sat on my hand for a good ten minutes while I chatted to him. Then we did a couple step ups and of course I gave him tons af praise and then he let me give him a kiss on his head and we walked back to his cage on the other side of the house with out any problems. Except for he didn't want to leave me after that so I had to push him a little off balance to get him to get off my hand and into his cage. He's going to be a snap to tame down I'm so happy what a good bird Bandits going to be.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I know my fingers are a little sore but if you want a tame bird you gotta take the bites it comes with the territory. His little bite are nothing compared to my Congo African Greys or even my Indian ring neck for that matter Thank God I don't get many bites from them anymore.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You definitely have the right attitude. It's really easy to get discouraged when you're trying to teach a scared animal that you're harmless and they keep biting you and drawing blood. You've just got to grit your teeth, show them biting isn't effective, and keep being patient and gentle, which is exactly what you did. No wonder he's coming around so quickly!

·
Registered
670 Posts
weldone you :D as you all no one bite and it off, you definitely have the right frame of mind and are a very good bird tamer, and that bite looks very painful

nothing more than a bite from an African grey lol have you seen the size of them lol

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
That's great, well done.

It's good to hear that you are being very calm with him and showing him that biting isn't going to do anything to you, like it's been said already, you definitely have the right attitude towards him, which now will make it so much easier for you to tame him, you'll have a fully tamed bird before you know it.

Keep it up, you're doing great! :D

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
wow well done!!! ur doing great!!! u should be proud....I also wanted to say WOW to your range of birdies!!! I saw them in the signature requests thread and they are all such beautiful birds....would love to pick your brains one day about the differences between species and even sub species like the fiery shouldered conure as opposed to the green cheek....would be interesting to learn some obvious and subtle differences and quirks that only an owner of a range of birds like yours would know...Bandit is so gorgeous and hopefully won't live up to his name!!! ;-)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes I do love my babies they are my fids Three of them are rescues from very abusive homes. Tyco My Grey is only 5 yrs old and I'm her 4th and final owner she was very abused from the time she was a baby. as a matter of fact she can't even fly as she was not permited to fledge as a baby. I've had her since last October and I've finally can step her up and give her scritches on her neck. You think Cocateils take allot of patients try a terrified African Grey. My Amazon is also a Rescue I've had her since she was 4 yrs old she is 11yrs old now and the sweetest most social bird that you could ever meet. except when it comes to men She Hates men and if she see one she will go into display and call him every nasty name she knows along with some of the worst swear words that would make a sailor blush. She normaly never uses bad language it comes from her previos home. She either talks in a childs voice or a womans voice except with a man around then her voice changes to a mans voice and all **** breaks lose its just like something possesed her LOL. Luna my Fiery Sholdered Conure was my first rescue she was in a canary display cage for the first 2 yrs of her life she was extreamly phobic and totally plucked due to stress when I got her now she's a velcro bird and so sweet she is the quietest bird I've ever met she loves to cuddle and preen every part of your face she also loves to give kisses She's a very nice bird. thats my rescues the rest where babies and easy to love and deal with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.