Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now we have been giving our cockatiel what i think is way too many honey-nut cheerios (about 1 -2 every morning depending on wether my dad gives one or not). He seems to be fine but i don't think thay many cheerios is ok. Do any of you know if we should stop?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
What are some of his other favourite treats? You can give him a little nibble of some grainy bread or a small piece of millet spray as a special handfed treat instead. :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
cheerios

Vicki, what is it that's bad for 'tiels about cheerios? They are not a regular part of Bennie's diet, but if I eat a bowl for breakfast, I always give Bennie a few. He likes his "O's" but if they are bad for him, I'll stop, of course. I thought as a whole grain, low sugar cereal, they'd be okay. Is it the added vitamins and minerals?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
The OP was feeding the honey-nut Cheerios. The 2nd ingredient in these is sugar, as well as there being several types of sugar listed as ingredients in those Cheerios. 'Tiels should eat a low-sugar diet as naturally they don't eat sugary foods, and because too much sugar is likely to cause yeast infections.

A grainy cereal with no sugar added is a great treat option, though. I sometimes give my flock bran sticks or a few pieces of wholegrain flake cereal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good too know. Mine like Quaker Oatmeal with milk however it has brown sugar in it so I am hesitate too allow them unless they outsmart me. Mine sometimes get regular Cheerios however I don't like them have many. We avoid sugar.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oatmeal without any additives is a great and healthy treat for our birds. Mine love plain oat pieces on their own!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts