Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...tomorrow!!! I'm so excited, it's a hand reared baby Tiel. The breeder seems to think it is a girl, but she's not 100% sure because it's still a little too young.

I've got a cage and everything in the way of toys, perches etc. Do Tiels eat parrot food, or is there a special mix of seeds just for Tiels? I know about veggies, fruit etc. but was just wondering if they have special seeds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think you should have checked into that already.

Tiels do have a diet of their own, but be careful choosing a seed diet with sunflower seeds. It's like ice cream for them and they would stay there just picking out that seed.

Are you thinking of also providing pellets?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, to be honest, I've never seen bird pellets here. I might be wrong and maybe somebody from the UK could help me out with that. Obviously I want to provide the best possible diet, just like I do for my budgie, so I'll go with any good advice given, thanks.

Ouch!! I've just read your first sentence again! I don't do things on a whim, I was going to ask the breeder what she feeds her tiels and carry on with the same things, I just thought I would ask if they ate the same sort of food as parrots as I was a bit curious at the time of typing it. Please don't think I do things on a whim, I take all my animals well being very seriously.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Congrats on your new tiel, they are a joy to have
check your local petstore there are seeds just for cockatiels almost all come with sunflowers I just pick them out of the seed and give them as treats I also use pellets for cockatiels as well as the seed, like budgies they should have a mixture of seeds pellets and fruits and veggies :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Well Congrats! Bet you can't wait!
Be sure to give us lots and lots of pictures of your new addition! :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
A good quality tiel seed (yes, you can get tiel specific seed mixes) won't overdose on the sunflower seeds. ;) I measure my tiels seed, they need 2 tablespoons of seed per tiel each day, so they can't just eat the sunflower seeds and they get more nutritional value from their seed. I recommend doing this. As for pellets, if you can find them, supplement the diet with them, if you can't, then just make sure they're getting lots of variety from their diet. Seed, veggies, and cooked foods like lentils, brown rice, beans, egg, etc are all great for protien and vitamins. :D

I seriously cannot wait to see your new baby!! :D What luck to find one so quickly! Do you know colour, age, etc?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments and Bea, thanks, that's very useful, I'll be sure to keep the sunflower seeds out, I'll maybe use them for clicker training. LOL. She is grey with white stripes on her wings and the breeder says that when she flies, it looks like lace. I don't know the exact age of her yet.......only 2 hours to go!!!! Then I'll be able to show you!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Thanks for the comments and Bea, thanks, that's very useful, I'll be sure to keep the sunflower seeds out, I'll maybe use them for clicker training. LOL. She is grey with white stripes on her wings and the breeder says that when she flies, it looks like lace. I don't know the exact age of her yet.......only 2 hours to go!!!! Then I'll be able to show you!
Only one hour now!!! :D She sounds like she's a pearl, they have lacey wing markings. ;) It will be easy to tell if she's male or female after her first moult too, cause male pearls lose all their spots during their moult.

Sunflower seeds are great training treats, Cookie in particular is nuts for them...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts