Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And this topic may very well be premature but... :D

I went to a bird specialty store yesterday and met a young tiel that I really like! However I really want a male bird and he/she is an albino so we're doing a DNA test to figure out what 'it' is. I spent an hour yesterday just sitting in front of the cage and sticking my hand in and letting them get used to my hand, and another hour today, haha! The store owner must think I'm nuts, lol.

They're supposed to be around 5 months of age, and one in the cage (pearl) male was singing his butt off (but already sold!) but the other 3 in the cage didn't make a single sound. However seeing as they are quite young, that might still come? or is this hopeful thinking?

Anyway here are some pictures of 'it' (lol)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
What an adorable baby! Joey moved in with us at 2 months of age, and he was already a bit vocal then, and once he got used to us he was singing, whistling and learning a word or two by 3 months. I know not all males are as vocal as some, but a DNA test would be a good idea anyway.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Very cute baby! :love: Whiteface lutinos are typically females, but there's still a chance the bird is male. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cute baby! :love: Whiteface lutinos are typically females, but there's still a chance the bird is male. :)
Well... I'm arguing with myself right now anyway haha. "Do I still want it if it's a female? .. maybe...." Oh man. Will be a week or so until the DNA test is back anyway so I can just keep fighting with myself until then!

Anyone care to offer reasons to have girl tiels? I mainly want a male to teach tricks and to whistle stuff.. so if anyone can sell me on the ladies?! :D

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My female does tricks! :) She also has fairly good recall (coming to me when cued), spins right, (working on spin left), and is learning to bow her head on cue as well. ^_^
As for whistling that DOES tend to be a male-only trait. I say go with your gut. Who knows, even if this baby turns out to be a female but you clicked; even if she doesn't sing, it may have been meant to be. <3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts