Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's coming along well. Got lots of inspiration from google images. Has anyone else built their own bird play gym activity centre? I'd love to see pictures! I've bought piping, different types of rope, made a natural wood toy today and bought parrot ladders! I've set up the frame now to 'decorate' it and add different textures and things for them to play with.

What are your birds favourite toys - things to play with or chew?

I'll post up photos once it's looking like a well designed bird gym!

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
It's weird but neither of my birds are very destructable. They love their seed bells but don't seem to want to chew much. Are yours 'chewers'?
Only Loki Rocko likes plastic toys that move and make noise but he only has one of them in his cage and Loki has been living in Rockos cage and he plays with all the toys that Rocko doesn't touch like his colurful row of bells and a plastic bell type thing that has a perch on it.And his wooden block toy with a parrot head on it (cartoon parrot)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wow holy crap that is awesome! You built that? I'm using pvc pipe as well but don't think we can achieve that! That is awesome! Congrates to you and your hubby!
Thank you, the main thing is getting your measurements exact... Other than that it was quite easy... We planned how wide we wanted it and how tall... After that it was just a matter of adding stuff as we thought of it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, the main thing is getting your measurements exact... Other than that it was quite easy... We planned how wide we wanted it and how tall... After that it was just a matter of adding stuff as we thought of it.
I've had my hubby cutting out piping like a crazy man. He adores Ringo so much (never had birds before) but no feeling for Lucy. I need something they can play on other than single perch. You could sell those hon! So awesome.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Where are you? I'm in Australia. I'll probably use gum tree branches washed for different texture.
If you use branches from outside, it's a good idea to bake them in the oven for sterilization in addition to washing. Because wood is porous, washing can miss things inside of it that the heat will take care of.

What shreddable toys have you tried? In my experience those are the biggest hits with tiels, but mine don't like shredding all things equally. Even with those, they have favorites.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you use branches from outside, it's a good idea to bake them in the oven for sterilization in addition to washing. Because wood is porous, washing can miss things inside of it that the heat will take care of.

What shreddable toys have you tried? In my experience those are the biggest hits with tiels, but mine don't like shredding all things equally. Even with those, they have favorites.
Great tip - will do!

I have a wood type toy with bits of plastic and bits and bobs on it. They are both a bit 'eh' over it, but Ringo DOES love chewing up all my magazines on the coffee table! It's his mission to destroy them all I think.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hubby and I built this one out of pvc pipe... The cockatiels love it!
Wow this is a cool gym! I would love to try and make it for Sunny but I don't know if I can. What I have now is kind of pathetic: I have a small, store-bought simple playgym which has a ladder and a swing (which Sunny NEVER goes on) and then I also have a big playgym I made by turning upside-down a cage stand and I just hang toys from it. Sunny rarely touches the toys though and the "bars" that form the "playgym" are too tiny for her to walk on. I would like to try and make one like yours but exactly how do I do it? And why do you need to wrap the pipes? Are you able to give me some detailed instructions on exactly (stress EXACTLY :D ) what to do so I can try it? But I really do need the "For Dummies" version because I am totally new at this. ;)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I will have to look on my computer and see if I have better pix and try.. I am terrible at instructions tho...lol we didn't use instructions ourselves we just sorta looked at ones online and came up with this one.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I will have to look on my computer and see if I have better pix and try.. I am terrible at instructions tho...lol we didn't use instructions ourselves we just sorta looked at ones online and came up with this one.
Actually never mind. I just did my own research and apparently the Internet is teeming with all kinds of tutorials on how to do this... :p Here is one I am looking at now:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/diy-pvc-pipe-playgym-tutorial-pics-included.96532/

But I still don't know where to go to buy the "vet wraps". The hyperlink for this from the website is no longer available. Where did you buy yours?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Actually never mind. I just did my own research and apparently the Internet is teeming with all kinds of tutorials on how to do this... :p Here is one I am looking at now:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/diy-pvc-pipe-playgym-tutorial-pics-included.96532/

But I still don't know where to go to buy the "vet wraps". The hyperlink for this from the website is no longer available. Where did you buy yours?
That is a much better tutorial than I could of done...lol
Look for vet wrap in the equine section of your local farm store... It may be called leg wrap.. We got ours from fleet farm and it was only $1.50-$2.00 for the 4 inch rolls.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
That is a much better tutorial than I could of done...lol
Look for vet wrap in the equine section of your local farm store... It may be called leg wrap.. We got ours from fleet farm and it was only $1.50-$2.00 for the 4 inch rolls.
Don't exactly have a local farm store...:lol: I'm in downtown Toronto, Canada and no store around here has an "equine section"! I'll have to do some digging. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts