Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...
I bought a lutino cockatiel bout a month ago... He was 3 and a half months old when I bought him... Named him Charlie... (as the breeder told he was a boy)... I really want it to bond with me and I tried all sorts of stuff...
when I go near him he goes to the furthest perch and sits there... And when I change the food or water he jumps to the floor of the cage and goes crazy...!!
He doesn't eat anything except seeds...
He is always startled...
Please... Help me at making this cockatiel more normal and friendly...
Thanks in advance... ;-)

·
Registered
769 Posts
My bird was exactly the same when it was not tamed. It can take a lot of time to tame a bird. Sometimes even a year, or maybe more. Since your bird is new, I suggest just sitting next to the cage and talking to it, or maybe reading a book aloud. Your bird is still a young one, so if you have tried giving something it has never seen before, it might not eat it. Or it simply doesn't like the food you are giving it. Just keep trying to make it eat it. Start with veggies like kale (bird's favourite veggie). There are a lot of threads that give info on training our bird or making it eat a veggie. Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey when I got Hercules - now 5 months old - he was very nervous. I sat by his cage for days and spoke to him and whistled to him. He is now not so nervous he greets me every morning with loud whistles and jumps right up on me when I open his cage. I also leave his cage fully open when I am home and only close him in at night. I let him roam and be inquisitive all day. He will jump of his cage (flight wings clipped when I got him) and walk over to me a few times per day. He will step up on to my hand and run up my arm. He now will also perch himself on my knee watch TV and grind his beak. He frequently runs up my stomach and chest if I am in a position where he can - he loves a cuddle. He also loves me to rub him and give his neck and head rubs and scratches. He eats out of my hand especially pumpkin seeds his favourite.

The time and effort is really worth it. I really cannot recommend enough sitting by his cage and talking to him. Once he trusts you, he will be all over you. Best of luck 😃

From my mobile communications network

1 - 5 of 5 Posts