Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Indie very frequently will do the following: reach down, bite his foot while making a garbled, kind of angry sounding noise. Then, he will stare right at me and do it again. This behavior is commonly associated with him pecking his perch and singing.
It looks like aggressive territorial behavior -- but it generally occurs when he and I are just hanging out and I have made no attempts to approach the cage. The rescue I got him from told me this is typical behavior to attract a mate -- but I don't know about that! It's just he and I. :)
Has anyone seen this before?
Thanks!
~ Kate

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh wow! Murray is a female. Often, when she is 'showing off' (bat winging, mantling and opening her beak) she will pretend to attack her own foot or open wing. I always thought she was just showing how tough she is - which I guess could be attractive to a mate or territorial depending on the context :) x

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Henry does the same thing often (every day). It's hilarious! :lol: His garbled angry noise sounds a bit like a laugh. He does it when he's singing, hopping and otherwise showing off, it's just part of the mating display. And your 'tiel could view you as a potential mate (like Coco views me, haha), so that could be why he's doing it when you're around. I'd take it as a compliment. :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the replies! I kind of don't understand how he can view me as a mate AND a threat. He still freaks out when I try to pet him and he refuses to stay out of his cage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts