Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 38.3 C here at the moment, and will get up to 40 C on monday.:eek: I have an outside avairy. Any tips on keeping them cool. I have have plenty of water bowls/dishes, I spray them with water and have a shade sail above the avairy... any more ideas? Can I put some ice cubes in a shallow dish of water? or will bert and ernies tongues get stuck on them? :cry: Thanks all... maesie xxx

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Urgh!! :eek: I'm not looking forward to when we start getting 40C days. Sounds like you're doing all the things i would to keep the aviary cool. :thumbu: I'm not sure about the icy water. I know that if you're hand rearing baby birds cold things can damage their crops, i'm not sure if it would be the same with adults...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bea. We just got a cool southerly change so all is ok for now (untill tomorrow :eek: ) I tried the ice cubes in the water, put about 6 in for the tiels, then went into the budgies section, did the same, then came back out through the teils again.. low and behold the ice was gone!!! no need to worry about them getting their tongues caught... grr I HA:mad:TE hot weather!!!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I tried the ice cubes in the water, put about 6 in for the tiels, then went into the budgies section, did the same, then came back out through the teils again.. low and behold the ice was gone!!! no need to worry about them getting their tongues caught... grr I HA:mad:TE hot weather!!!
:eek: Amazing!! That sure melted FAST!!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I use ice water- mine love it for some reason. Whenever I fill their dishes I put a couple of cubes and they like to play with them...

·
Registered
799 Posts
i have never had to cool down any of my birds before because in Britain we struggle to get any warm let alone hot weather but if the ice cubes are melting that quick i cant see it being much of a problem also xxxspikexxx idea was good with the fan. also with them being native to Australia they would have evolved to handle heat up to a certain level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts