Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the tiels seems happy to sit on their perch. More than fine. My two go NUTS if they are not on me. Even when I give them millet on their platforms if I go anywhere they fly off and go crazy! It's like they are part of me - no place is better than on me. The never groom on their pearches - just on me. If I have one the other goes nuts and flies off into a wall. They are very different birds - Ringo is smart and savvy - Lucy is placid and affectionate - neither really like each other....still....but when I have them out I am like heroin to them and I can't even go to the loo without them both flying off their pearches!

I've never had this. I've always ever owned one bird - a big parrot. We did raise baby budgies but there were three of us. Now it's just me - my partner on weekends who has no idea about parrots so spoils them. I have them five days a week all day and I cannot have them out if I just need to go to the kitchen and they both fly into a wall! Ringo is SO smart. He learns things in a day. Lucy is a bit daft and not sure to seperate them and sell her or not?

·
Registered
37 Posts
How Long have you had Lucy?
I got a second cockatiel about 3-4 months ago and Boo, my first, was extremely jealous. He began bothering him if he moved in his direction and was angry with me for weeks. I couldn't touch him but he would still accept kisses. It was pretty adorable. ANYWAYS, now they get along fine, they still bicker daily but they love each others company, but this took a couple months.

As for the flying thing, I still deal with this too. They have gotten better. Boo used to do the exact same thing except he could fly so he would always fly to my shoulder the moment I left. I think it's just a cockatiel thing, they are scaredy cats and don't like being in unfamiliar locations. Just try to get them used to it, put familiar toys or play gym there and themillet is a good idea too, and slowly they'll learn. Mine still flutter to the floor when I walk away from time to time but for the most part they have gotten used to it and find ways to stay entertained on their own.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had Lucy now for about 2 months. They still really hate each other. It's got to the point I'm thinking of selling her and just having Ringo. Before her his training was coming along so well. He's like a sponge and wants to learn. She just wants pats and bully's him as she is bigger even though she's younger than him.

I've managed to control the flying more and give them more things to do on their stands but when I put them back in the cage at night they instantly go to bite each other and stay as far away as they can from each other.

I just want both to be happy and I as I'm home Ringo would not be lonely on his own - only if we go out for the day. Gah! What to do! I really can't see them ever getting along.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts