Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I think about it, I think my pearl, Sam, is a "she". The breeder couldn't remember exactly when he hatched, but he was thinking it was around January. So I've been expecting his first molt any time now.

However, I'm thinking back now and remembering that the breeder clipped his wings the day I brought him home, and he grew two new flight feathers out on each wing within 2 weeks. So now I think s/he has probably already had his first molt? And since he's still a pearl I think I better get used to calling her a "she"!?!

-SB

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
If s/he is only around 6 months now. I would think that the first molt has not started yet. I guess you should know for sure in a little while.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Clipping the wings doesn't really have anything to do with moulting, you will definitely know when s/he is moulting there will be little feathers everywhere and you will see pin feathers around where the feathers have come off, they will have there first real moult anywhere around 6 months could be earlier or later, my white face Pearl Lee started to lose his Pearls at about 5 1/2 months

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I hear what you're saying, I definitely know what a molt looks like...but those flight feathers grew right back in right after I got him, and that's what made me think that maybe he'd gone through his molt right before I got him.

Time will tell. :)

-SB

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
When my birds feathers grow back they haven't molted body feathers

some pearls keep the pearls when male, Some don't lose them until around a year old every bird is different and matures at different times.

if your bird doesn't whistle, or is very quiet then most likely you have a female, (but alot of females are noisy mine are my males are quiet unless they see us in the kitchen or coming down the hall then they'll start whistling to us.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Do a DNA test and you will know for sure. It doesn't cost much and you can find different places on line that will send you the kit to do it. I use DDC to do my birds their web site is vetdnacenter.com

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to DNA all of my birds...the only one I know for sure is CJ because he's a normal grey. I will definitely look into that - thanks for the link!

-SB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts