Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting a tiel friend for Lorenzo for a while now. My new job requires me to be away more and I feel bad leaving him by himself.

My only concern is that he is already VERY loud. He flock calls at all hours even when he is covered. Will getting a second one make things worse or do you think it will calm him down a little? We live in an apartment so I can't have a lot of tiel screaming going on.

Also, I was considering getting him a female since they tend to be more quiet. Does that seem like a good idea? or would there be the same amount of noise regardless of whether I get another male or a female?

·
Registered
8 Posts
We decided to get another tiel a couple of years ago now for the exact same reason and it's a decision that we definitely haven't regretted!
It's been so lovely being able to watch our tiel's bond and it's especially cute to see them preening one another. :)
We had 1 male (Charlie) to start with, before introducing a female (Dusty.)
Noise level wise, we haven't really found that it's got noisier overall. Charlie used to constantly flock call etc when he was alone, but now he doesn't as much because Dusty is usually always nearby. I would say that the only time it is noisier is when the hormones start to kick in during Spring, as instead of having one loud, moody bird you have two! (And yes generally females are much quieter than males, but when Dusty wants to shout and be heard, then she really does go for it!!)

One other big thing to consider when getting a male and female is the fact that they will probably want to breed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad you had a good experience with it! Lorenzo constantly sceams for attention so I'm hoping he would be better with another tiel in there. I don't want to hatch any eggs so I would just remove them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It isn't just as simple as removing the eggs. If you do that, she will just lay more eggs. Its preventing them from mating if you don't want them to breed. Laying eggs is sometimes difficult and can result in egg binding which can be fatal. It can also deplete their calcium levels, among other problems. You should read this to get more information: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330. Getting a male for another bird will work also, and gives him just as much bonding.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It isn't just as simple as removing the eggs. If you do that, she will just lay more eggs. Its preventing them from mating if you don't want them to breed. Laying eggs is sometimes difficult and can result in egg binding which can be fatal. It can also deplete their calcium levels, among other problems. You should read this to get more information: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330. Getting a male for another bird will work also, and gives him just as much bonding.
JoJo's MOM is right! It's not simple where you just throw them out. That can become fatal. Having 2 boys room is not the best idea. So if you want another is should be a female, but you can't ignore what comes along with owning a female because she would also be your responsibility. Hope it goes well!

~Skye

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
There is no problem with having two males. The idea that two males will fight is a myth. Cockatiels are flock birds and generally get along well, although obviously individual personalities will vary to some extent. But two males can certainly bond closely, and same-sex pairs of tiels have even been known to mate.

If you want a female and no breeding, you can remove the eggs and replace them with fakes. There are many ways to prevent/handle unwanted egg laying and as long as you are prepared, it should be fine.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I have several male-male pairs and even a male-male-male trio. You can get whatever gender cockatiel friend you would like for your male cockatiel.

There are animals such as mice that males do not like each other, but this doesn't typically apply to bird species.

Now, the noise issue...getting your bird a friend should help with the incessant flock calling while you're away because they will develop a flock bond with one another. Getting another male will likely increase the singing noise, but aside from that it wouldn't do much for noise. Getting a female may cause your male to sing more, but she would be mostly quiet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

I was planning on doing more research on how to deal with eggs before getting a female. I always do a lot of research before making changes with any of my animals.

The singing does not bother us, it's just the flock calling. I also believe he is more hormonal right now since it's spring. The loud ear piercing noises are out of control.

I just feel terrible that I am not home as much anymore to spend time with him and I know companionship is so important with birds.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A rescue in my area has a female up for adoption. I am going to go talk to them since they are very educated with cockatiels. But before I do, is it okay to get an older bird for Lorenzo? He's only around a year old and the one the rescue has is a few years old. They don't know an exact age.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts