Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been thinking a lot about getting a second cockatiel. I can't get one at the moment due to lack of space in my tiny dorm room, but next year I have a fairly sizeable single.
I'm also graduating from college next year, and though I plan to stay at home for a few years and work, I don't know if I should wait until I find my own place and settle down before I commit to another 'tiel.
Thoughts?

Also, if I do get another cockatiel, I would definitely want a male. Maya is female, and I don't want any breeding... Is it possible to keep a male and female together but not have them breed? Would they have to have separate cages?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If you have the space in a single, and you really want another tiel, I don't see why you couldn't get one then. As long as you have the time to commit to a second.

Hormones can be controlled see here:http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330 No, they don't require separate cages. My birds only breed when I want them to. Do not mistake mating for making babies. Tiels like to do it for fun too.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I have had a male and female tiel together for almost two years now. They mate very often, but never produce any eggs. I don't condition them too as I don't plan to breed. So, it is possible to have a male and female together and not have babies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts