Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried everything to get Pickles to eat something other than white millet. He won't touch spray millet, sun flowers or any of the zillion other nuts and seeds I have tried. He has rejected every shape and form of pellet not to mention turning his beak up to any and every fruit or vegetable. He tried egg food once but just once. I've mixed stuff in a variety of ways and nothing tempts him to eat. I'm really worried he will die from malnutrition. He's the exact opposite of Sammy.

Any new suggestions is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I had a bird like that. I eventually got her to eat pellets by crushing them up very fine, and veggies by pureeing them and then putting the millet on top. Then once she was eating the seed fine that way, I pushed the seed into the veggie purée so she'd have to get a bit of taste from the veggies. After she was eating the seed well that way I pushed them further in. Then eventually I was mixing the seed into the veggies. Then I was slowly reducing the amount of seed in the veggies until it was only veggies she was eating at that particular meal.

You must be creative to get stubborn birds to eat healthy foods.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sammy are in cages that are side-by-side and both pretty much live in their own world. I haven't found anything to train Pickles with so he is still cage bound. I got Pickles in April and have never been able to get him to step up or even come near my finger. I've tried the seeds on food but he still won't take to them. He is a very stubborn little bird.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Sammy are in cages that are side-by-side and both pretty much live in their own world. I haven't found anything to train Pickles with so he is still cage bound. I got Pickles in April and have never been able to get him to step up or even come near my finger. I've tried the seeds on food but he still won't take to them. He is a very stubborn little bird.
Joey loves scritches, we can adjust toys with our hands right beside him, hand feed him, etc, and he is fine with hands. He still refuses to step up though. We just open his cage door and let him come out on his own. When it is time to go back in the cage, he will step up onto a bamboo spoon handle that looks similar to one of his perches, and ride it back to the cage. Pickles may do something similar, just to be able to let him have some out of cage time, if you feel he is ready for it other than the stepping up part.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Have you tried an egg and biscuit formula? I recently bought it (for the first time) and my bird absolutely loves it!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't seen any egg and biscuit formulas. What is the brand name. I can google it and see if it's available here in the states or on Amazon.

I'm going to try the wooden spoon technique just to see his reaction. I could buy a down rod and cut it down into a mini perch.

My sister's conure likes this oven baked stuff I haven't tried. It looks like dog kibble but in various sized chunks.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I recently purchased the Vetafarm Egg and Biscuit mix. My guys love it! Definitely worth trying. You can feed it wet or dry, too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Littletiel and Charvicki. I am going to hunt some down and try it out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is only one supplier in the states that I can find that has the egg and biscuit formula and they are out of stock. I would have to order it from Australia but am not sure if it would pass customs.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cannot believe it. I actually had success today in getting Pickles to eat. I made a new batch of veggie mix inspired by Rowdy Tiel. It had yellow, green, and red bell peppers, beets, rainbow carrots and kale. I mixed white millet in with it and then put some on top. He ate the millet and enough of the veggies I could see the bottom of the feed dish. Hopefully he will eat some more later in the week.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's awesome, well done! :clap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts