Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I stopped into the store I got my Simon from. They just changed management so I wandered around to look at the new stuff and hung out with an eclectus that was boarding there (he was a cutie) and then opened the cockatiel cage.

And this little girl climbed right up onto my finger.

She's beautiful and I pretty much fell in love instantly. So I went home and brought my Simon back because he hadn't really seen another bird in 4 months and I wanted to see if they got along. And he loved her (until she tried to climb onto my shoulder at which point he kinda got upset because excuse you you're pretty but that's my mommy and she's mine so)

They were friendly and sweet and precious and I am so completely in love with her.

NOW THIS IS WHERE I NEED Y'ALL'S HELP.

My parents have barred me from getting any more birds while I am still living under their roof.

I keep telling them that having another baby would keep Simon occupied when I'm not home, thus cutting down on how much he annoys nana while she birdie sits; that I will start spending the majority of my time in my room, thus confining the burd mess to a smaller area; that Simon will be happier with a sister. They won't budge.

I'm dragging my mom to meet her tomorrow or Thursday (wait it's past midnight; today or tomorrow, then) so I'm hoping that meeting her will spark the love in my mom. I mean I convinced them to let me get Simon in the first place, which was a feat...just, if anyone has any advice on how to convince my parents that a second tiel would be a good idea, I would absolutely love that. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I don't want to upset you or anything but taking him to the store to meet her kinda defeats quarantine procedures. Which makes me wander if you would be able to quarantine her in the first place? Quarantine is a very important part of bringing home a new bird.

If your parents are saying no, I would wait. We have another member here whose parents don't like their birds and are constantly being told to get rid of them. That wont make having the birds quite as enjoyable. And then there is what happens when you go to college. Will you be able to take your birds with you? Just tossing some things out there to think about.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to upset you or anything but taking him to the store to meet her kinda defeats quarantine procedures. Which makes me wander if you would be able to quarantine her in the first place? Quarantine is a very important part of bringing home a new bird.

If your parents are saying no, I would wait. We have another member here whose parents don't like their birds and are constantly being told to get rid of them. That wont make having the birds quite as enjoyable. And then there is what happens when you go to college. Will you be able to take your birds with you? Just tossing some things out there to think about.
I'm in college. Community college, but no matter where I go, apartments that allow pets. (Or, according to my cousin, anywhere if I have a doctor's note, which I could definitely get from my therapist). My mom loves my bird, my dad hates pretty much everything but our dog.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's so sweet and adorable!!! :)

You're in college?!
Get the darn cutie haha. You're an adult, geez.
May try that argument haha. I mean I don't really plan on living with my parents for too much longer if I can help it...so. Hahaha

·
Registered
47 Posts
May try that argument haha. I mean I don't really plan on living with my parents for too much longer if I can help it...so. Hahaha
Yeah what's the huge frikkin deal?! On top of the fact that they would live together in the same cage, she's a female! The noise wouldn't be any different. Lol parents can be so strange when it comes to pets.. I think it's more of a control thing than common sense or logic really. My parents had times like that while I was living with them. I resorted to writing long research essays about the animals needing a social companion at all times and then all the pros, along with pics. ;) Melted their hearts lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah what's the huge frikkin deal?! On top of the fact that they would live together in the same cage, she's a female! The noise wouldn't be any different. Lol parents can be so strange when it comes to pets.. I think it's more of a control thing than common sense or logic really. My parents had times like that while I was living with them. I resorted to writing long research essays about the animals needing a social companion at all times and then all the pros, along with pics. ;) Melted their hearts lol
I was literally flipping through books at work for a definitive, "Cockatiels do better in pairs." Hahaha

·
Registered
198 Posts
I kind of know what it's like.. I live with my husband in a 2 bedroom apartment and not with my mom but she still tries to control my life. She keeps telling me I should get rid of my tiels and she doesn't stop by but a few times a month lol... if you are planning on finding your own place in the near future maybe let them know that and tell them that you want to have a friend for your tiel now so you know when you move that he'll have a buddy to keep him company while you are in school. This way you don't have to go hunting for a buddy after you move and maybe not finding one that gets along with your tiel.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Wow she's gorgeous. Reminds me of a lovely hen I met at a pet store a couple of days ago. She was a normal grey too, and had the most bewitching eyes. I really hope that somehow you can get her! She and Simon look so cute together! :D

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
You can tell them that it's for Simon's emotional well-being. Birds are sociable creatures, and if you're gone to school or whatever, he misses company. He may even start flock calling, which will be very annoying. So, another bird may help him be more well-rounded in the long term.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
She's gorgeous, I still live with my parents but they don't have a problem with all my birds as long as I'm the one caring for and paying for them :p I hope you can convince your parents :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh my gosh my jaw dropped, I have yet to see a hen that looks so much like mine! Same pretty, full crest, and exact same markings...even the speckles on her belly!! SO Sweet!!

I had my female first and she was really loud when I put her up because she was lonely. I cried 1,000 tears for her, but luckily people on this forum convinced me to get her a friend.
I do not do more work and I am not more stressed now That we have Artie, in fact it is the exact opposite. If anything your parents will be pleased that the house is quieter and that you current tiel is happier. I am telling you, these two keep each other busy all day! It is a delight to watch! Females are amazing too!
Im still amazed by how much she looks like my Goose!!

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm at home 24/7 and Tiki still flock calls to me! LOL! I've actually figured out which noise it is he makes that is the flock call too. He went nuts earlier while I was in the shower and screamed the same noise over and over at me, so now I know for sure what his flock call is. Poor guy.... I think he thought that the water was torture to me. lol

"Omg! Mom is being held against her will and sprayed with water!" *freaks out* :rofl:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm gonna be the unpopular one here... if you live at home and your parents say no more animals, then in my opinion that is their right. It is their home and their rules still apply. They may be unreasonable about it, but it is still their house they pay the bills and they make the rules. I don't think you should get the bird, you may end up with 2 screaming birds!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts