Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy has been very quiet in the last few days, well, quieter than usual at any rate. He has been sitting on my shoulder or in my lap most of the day (often grinding his beak) instead of being hyperactive as he usually is.
Then today I noticed a poop with curdled yellow urates! It was just under his water feeder, so some water drops may have fallen on it.

Other poops seem to be normal.

I have attached a picture of the poop with curdled yellow urates and a picture of another poop.

Do you think it is a liver problem? Can it occur based on something he has eaten or drunk or do you think it is a real condition? Can water have affected the appearance of the poop (as I said it was just under the water feeder)? Should I wait another couple of days or call the vet straightaway?

I am sick myself (although I haven't gone to the doc, so I don't know exactly what I have). I hope I didn't make him sick?? I am panicking... :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
There's not a whole lot that you can pass to your bird, most diseases are NOT zoonotic.

He may be feeling under the weather because you do. If you are concerned, it can't hurt to get a check up. Is he still eating and drinking normally? And has he been eating anything that he shouldn't? These are the first two things the vet is going to ask.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes, he is eating and drinking normally. I gave him more veggies yesterday (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots), otherwise nothing new. I guess veggies may have an effect on urine, being watery, but he mostly ate what was around the veggies anyway, namely seeds and some pellets.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just watched him eat and he had a very good, healthy appetite.
Needless to say I will keep an eye on his poops in the next few days. Poops outside the cage seem to be normal too.
I might sound like a mum who worries too much, but better safe than sorry. I wouldn't like something to happen and have to live with "If only I had done this or that" for the rest of my life. We are really close. :love:

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Completely understandable. If that ends up being the only abnormal poop he has, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you see more, there's nothing wrong with getting a check up and some antibiotics.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Are you sure that's a poop and not a piece of food that fell on top of a poop and got wet? It kind of looks like soggy pellet to me.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's this photo that made me freak out yesterday:

When I saw that "thing" I looked online for abnormal droppings and thought that was it. :(

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just lifted the blanket - no abnormal poops today :). He is also a bit livelier. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts